Century Theatres plans gala for 5 local charities

Amid the hush-hush of a movie premiere and appearances by show-business luminaries, Century Theatres announced earlier this month that it will hold a gala benefit for local charities on Nov. 16 at their new location in the Church Street Plaza.

Officials with Century Theatres, which will open their 12-screen cineplex and a six-screen arthouse the day after the benefit, are working with developer Arthur Hill & Co. and two Evanston Rotary Clubs to organize the event for five local charities: The Cradle, Youth Organizations Umbrella, Better Existence with HIV, Fellowship of African-American Men and Christmas in April.

The plaza, a multimillion-dollar entertainment, residential and retail project, is set to open in mid-November. The arthouse, CineArts 6, will be the nation’s only art and independent film theater.

Proceeds from the 1,000 tickets, which are being sold for $25 each, will be split evenly among the organizations, said Frank Paul, fund-raising chairman for the Evanston Lighthouse Rotary Club.

“We feel it’s important to make a contribution to the community,” said Nancy Klasky, vice president of marketing for Century Theatres. “Especially with a town like Evanston which has been so supportive of us coming here.”

Tickets for the Rotary benefit will be sold by each of the charities. If organizers reach their goal of selling out the event, each charity will receive $5,000.

“One of the most important kinds of fund raising is fund raising that allows us to support the basic infrastructure of the organization. Private funding like this helps us to do that,” said Michael Hurley, housing advocate for BEHIV, an Evanston-based counseling and support service for those suffering from HIV-related illnesses. “We appreciate the opportunity to be a part of Evanston’s step forward in economic development.”

Jim Riley, president of Christmas in April, said his group was grateful for the extra money, which will aid the group in its mission of providing home repairs for low-income residents.

“You have a business that is willing to make a significant contribution to the community, and we see that as a very positive thing,” Riley said.

Along with donations of popcorn and drinks from Century Theatres, the benefit will include a small “taste of Evanston” catered by local restaurants and Evanston 1st Liquors, Paul said. The name of the movie being premiered has yet to be revealed, along with details of the event’s silent auction.

A second event benefiting the Gene Siskel Film Center for the Art Institute of Chicago also will be held that night, Klasky said. Proceeds from that benefit will go directly to the film center.

Ben Ranney, marketing director for Arthur Hill & Co., said this move by the theater to reach out to the community shouldn’t be surprising.

“Century Theatres always tries to get involved with local organizations who will be their patrons,” Ranney said. “They have an interest in supporting the community and making sure everything goes well.”