Carmody announces staff, Beyer not among assistants

Northwestern men’s basketball coach Bill Carmody yesterday announced named Paul Lee, Craig Robinson and Mitch Henderson assistant coaches for Carmody’s first season with the Wildcats.

Bob Beyer, an assistant to former coach Kevin O’Neill, was not retained by Carmody.

• Paul Lee comes to Evanston from Columbia University, where he spent nine seasons. He was the top assistant and recruiting coordinator at his alma mater for the last six years. Lee played for the Lions from 1982-86 and was a captain of the 1985-86 squad.

Prior to Columbia, he served as a graduate assistant at Monmouth (N.J.) College for two years. Lee started his coaching career at Hudson Catholic High School in Jersey City, N.J., coaching the junior varsity in 1987. He graduated from Columbia in 1986 with a degree in American history.

• Craig Robinson is no stranger to the Chicago area, having served last year as the head coach at the University of Chicago High School. Robinson is the fourth all-time leading scorer in Princeton basketball history with 1,441 points and was a two-time Ivy League Player of the Year. He was a four-year letterwinner for the Tigers from 1979-83 and captain of the 1982-83 team.

After graduating from Princeton with a degree in sociology, he was drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers in the fourth round of the 1983 NBA draft. He played four seasons with the Manchester (England) Giants of the European Basketball League. Robinson began his coaching career as an assistant coach at the Illinois Institute of Technology.

• Mitch Henderson was a four-year starter at Princeton from 1994-98 and was a captain for the 1998 team. His Tiger teams won three Ivy League titles and qualified for three NCAA tournaments. Henderson played professionally for the Atlanta Hawks in January of 1999 and one season in Ireland.

An exceptional athlete, Henderson also was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 1994 Major League Baseball draft. Henderson earned a bachelor’s degree in economics from Princeton in 1998. He most recently worked for Lendx Corporation as a research associate.