Nasser and Cheng conclude seasons with first-round losses

Senior Katherine Nasser and junior Colleen Cheng had hoped to stay in Malibu, Calif., for another week to enjoy the sun and atmosphere at the NCAA individual tennis championships.

But their prolonged stay in Malibu ended Monday when Nasser lost in straight sets, followed by a doubles loss with Cheng to the No. 3 team in the country.

An All-Big Ten selection, Nasser hoped to extend her playing career by participating in the singles tournament. But she fell to Georgia’s Lori Grey 6-2, 6-2 in the first round.

The win continued Grey’s postseason roll. On Sunday, Grey — ranked No. 33 and playing at No. 4 singles — helped No. 2 Georgia upset No. 1 Stanford 5-4 in the team championship match.

With the loss, Nasser finished the year with a 31-17 record at No. 1 singles. She was one of two Big Ten players in the selective field of 32.

After a short break, Nasser and Cheng took the courts in the doubles competition. The duo lost to Arizona State’s Alison Bradshaw and Celena McCoury 6-4, 6-1.

Throughout the season, Nasser and Cheng battled through tough matches on the way to an 11-11 record overall. They made up one of five Big Ten doubles teams in the postseason tournament.

Highlights of Nasser and Cheng’s doubles season were wins over then-No. 1 South Alabama, Indiana and a comeback win against Illinois in the Big Ten tournament.