NU prepares for two more tests

Only three players in the Big Ten appear in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s top 100 women’s singles rankings.

And two of the three play for No. 16 Northwestern.

Senior Katherine Nasser climbed from No. 54 to No. 46 while junior Shannon Duffy entered the selective rankings for the first time at No. 90.

Nasser, No. 1 singles, and Duffy, No. 2 singles, have proven throughout the year that they are worthy of such high rankings.

Nasser won the field of 64 at the ITA Midwest Regional in Columbus, Ohio, and earned a berth into the elite field of 32 in Dallas for the ITA National Invitational. Duffy, who has a 7-0 conference record, has won nine of her last 10 matches.

“There is no player in the Big Ten and in the country that (Nasser) can’t beat on a given day, ” NU coach Claire Pollard said. “Duffy is clearly the best (No.) 2 in the conference and could hold her own at (No.) 1.”

The Wildcats (15-4, 5-2 Big Ten) will have to rely on their top two players and receive help from a talented and productive supporting cast as they face Minnesota (14-3, 5-1) and Miami (9-9) this weekend at home. NU is looking to overcome a mid-season letdown with consecutive losses to Illinois and Ohio State.

“We’re upset and disappointed that we didn’t get it done,” Pollard said.

The team’s objectives all year have been to maintain a top-16 ranking — which enables NU to host the first two rounds of the NCAA Regionals — and also advance to the Sweet 16.

After the Cats lost to Ohio State last weekend, they called a team meeting and bounced back to beat Penn State. With that in mind, Pollard decided to administer a written test Tuesday.

The test reiterated a few of the basics, such as getting the ball over the net and keeping it inside the court. The majority of the test featured questions concerning in-depth strategy pertaining to each player and reminding the team of their season goals.

“It made everyone consciously aware of some stuff we forgot or didn’t realize,” said Colleen Cheng, the No. 3 singles player.

Pollard added: “We need everyone to be at the best every day, attitude-wise. You’re only as good as your worst day. We are getting pretty well-tested right now.”

The Cats hope the renewed team unity will give them an edge this weekend.

NU sees potential wins if it begins each match by taking the doubles point — something it hasn’t accomplished in its past three matches. The Cats also hope to use their strength at the top of the lineup, which proved to be the difference in their victory over Penn State.

Pollard praised the improved play of her doubles teams and expressed confidence with No. 5 Jennifer Lutgert’s recent performances.

“We’ve gotten a lift (with Lutgert) and she will help lift the burden off the top four,” Pollard said.

Freshman Marine Piriou, the regular No. 5 singles player, returned to practice this week after a bout with mononucleosis. She will not play against Minnesota or Miami but is projected to play in the final two regular-season matches, easing her transition into postseason competition.

However, the team’s concentration remains focused on the upcoming weekend in order to prevent another setback.

“Right now we don’t have any luxuries,” Pollard said. “We can’t have a bad day.”