Dillo Day moves up one week

Revelers won’t have Reading Week to sleep off Armadillo Day excesses this year — organizers said the Day of the Dillo will come to Northwestern a week earlier than usual to accommodate the annual K.A.O.S. step show.

“It was moved because in the past, K.A.O.S. is traditionally on Memorial Day weekend,” said Nick Guroff, general manager of Mayfest, which organizes Dillo Day. “We tried to coordinate last year, and there’s always been an issue with having enough security for both events on the same day.”

The two events rank among the campus’ most popular — and most in need of security.

On Dillo Day, the Spring bacchanal in which thousands of revelers descend upon the Lakefill to experience a full day of drinking, games and music, University Police traditionally arrest more people than on any other day. In recent years the majority of arrests have been made in connection with the possession of drugs, drug paraphernalia or false identification.

Last year at K.A.O.S., the largest step show in the Midwest, two people were arrested during scuffles that erupted when 4,000 people attempted to enter the Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center for an after-show party. Hosted by the traditionally black fraternity Alpha Phi Alpha since 1987, the performance features percussion-oriented routines combining traditional and modern techniques.

K.A.O.S. organizers did not return more than 10 phone calls on Monday.

Guroff said providing adequate security for both events was not possible, so one of the events had to take place on a different day.

“Co-programming is not ideal, so we decided we’d move up Dillo Day,” said Guroff, a Weinberg senior. “Memorial Day is very important to the African-American community, especially the youth community.”

Guroff said the move eased relations between the two groups, “instead of creating a negative dynamic between Mayfest and K.A.O.S., as there has been in the past.”

And keeping the events on separate days could also serve another purpose — allowing students to attend both events.

“At the micro level, we’re hoping that more students would go to the step show,” Guroff said.

Some students said they were concerned that losing Reading Week as a hangover haven could adversely affect Dillo Day attendance.

“It’s kind of dumb,” said Dan Geynisman, a Weinberg junior. “A lot of people take advantage of (Dillo Day) being before Reading Week. Now I don’t know if so many people are going to attend it — that’s not smart.”

But others said they would go to both events no matter when they were scheduled.

“It doesn’t really affect my decision,” said Suzie Pearce, a Music senior. “I don’t really care. It would be a little more convenient if it was before Reading Week, but whatever. I would probably go to K.A.O.S. anyway.”

Dillo Day is May 20 on the Lakefill. The scheduled bands will be announced at a Bar Night in May, Guroff said.