Chains drowning out independent music stores

The beat of Evanston music is changing —quickly.

With the closing of Chicago Compact Disc, 1640 Orrington Ave., and the possible relocation of Reckless Records, 606 Davis St., the reign of Evanston’s independent music stores may be ending.

Internet shopping, compact-disc burners, chain stores and a dearth of downtown parking prompted CCD’s decision to close, store manager Tommy Zender said.

CCD, which specializes in classical music, has operated in the Evanston area for more than 13 years, but it will close sometime this spring. Zender said CCD never recovered from sidewalk repairs three years ago that prevented people from walking past the store. Construction of the Church Street Plaza and proposed demolition of the Sherman Avenue parking garage would also negatively affect Zender’s business, he said.

Jeff Rice, a loyal customer of CCD and the owner of Great Expectations Bookstore, 911 Foster St., is one of many people who will miss the music store.

“I am disappointed that it has to close down,” Rice said. “I probably went down there four or five times a week. It’s a big loss to the community. There’s nowhere else left in Evanston to buy CDs.”

The next Evanston music venue to leave may be Reckless Records.

“It’s more of a thought right now than an action,” said store manager Dylen Posa. “We’re looking at another space in (Chicago) but haven’t gotten it yet.”

The Evanston branch of Reckless Records, which has two additional branches in the Chicago area, is suffering from competition with larger chain stores such as Borders and Wherehouse Music. Posa said the store’s relocation was not caused by poor service to the community.

“The success (of other Reckless Record stores) shows that we do a good job — we’re just not appreciated in Evanston,” Posa said.

According to Rice, the financial trouble faced by both CCD and Reckless Records indicates a downward spiral for Evanston small businesses.

“The way business is working in Evanston is making it difficult for the small, independent stores to survive,” Rice said. “The national chains are threatening to destroy us.”

Zender echoed this concern.

“For a lot of people, the Evanston shopping experience has been centered around the unique shops in the downtown area,” Zender said. “These stores have been a labor of love for the people working in them. Unfortunately, the business environment is no longer a good one.”