Men’s Swimming: Northwestern’s Jordan Wilimovsky qualifies for 2016 Olympics

Daily file photo by Brian Lee

Junior swimmer Jordan Wilimovksy became the first U.S. swimmer to qualify for the 2016 Olympics after winning the open-water 10-kilometer race at World Championships on Monday morning.

Alex Putterman, Web Editor

Northwestern junior Jordan Wilimovsky on Monday morning became the first American swimmer to qualify for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games.

Wilimovsky punched his ticket to Rio by winning the open-water 10-kilometer race at the World Championships in Kazan, Russia. Fellow American Sean Ryan finished fourth in the event, qualifying him for the Olympics as well.

Wilimovksy, who holds four NU school records, became the third individual-sport member of the U.S.’s 2016 Olympic team after pentathlete Nathan Schrimsher and table tennis player Jennifer Wu.

Wilimovsky finished the 10-kilometer race in 1 hour, 49 minutes, 48.2 seconds — nearly 12 seconds ahead of the next closest finisher.

Last season, Wilimovsky won the Big Ten title and finished third nationally in the 1,650-meter freestyle.

Clarification: This story has been updated to clarify that Wilimovsky is the third member of U.S. Olympic team who competes in an individual sport.

Twitter: @AlexPutt02