Evanston man connected to Clark Street Beach shooting arrested

Shannon Tyler, City Editor

Content warning: This story contains mentions of gun violence and death

The Evanston Police Department arrested a man in connection with the Clark Street Beach shooting on April 12 that left 18-year-old Jacquis Irby dead and his two 15-year-old brothers injured.

In a Saturday news release, EPD stated it arrested 20-year-old Jalen Murray in Evanston. The police accused Murray of firing the gun and charged him with one count of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder.

After its initial investigation with the North Regional Violent Crimes Task Force, EPD determined a verbal altercation led to the shooting.

“The altercation escalated with at least one offender firing a handgun into the group containing the victims. After the shooting, the offenders immediately fled the area,” the news release stated.

EPD said Murray was scheduled to appear in bond court Saturday and that the investigation is still in progress.

In the two weeks since the shooting, Mayor Daniel Biss released a statement with the city’s “violence prevention steps.” Those include an increased police presence around the lakefront and downtown areas and more community support programs.

Twitter: @shannonmtyler