Ald. Krissie Harris (2nd) wins 2nd Ward election

Illustration by Lily Ogburn

The Chicago mayoral runoff between Paul Vallas and Brandon Johnson occurred Tuesday following the nine-person general election Feb. 28.

William Tong, Staff Editor

Ald. Krissie Harris (2nd) will continue to serve as Evanston’s 2nd Ward Councilmember after winning Tuesday’s election. She received 696 votes –– 54.25% of the total –– according to the Cook County Clerk’s Office.

Her opponents, Darlene Cannon and Patricia Gregory, received 39.91% and 5.85% of the vote, respectively. 

A fifth-generation Evanston resident, Harris has worked at Oakton College for 25 years and currently serves as the manager of student life and campus inclusion. Harris is also a trustee of Second Baptist Church and has served on the boards of YWCA Evanston/North Shore and the Dajae Coleman Foundation. 

Harris said she plans on bringing unity to the 2nd Ward.

“That doesn’t mean we always agree,” Harris said. “But we have a common goal, and we work together.

Harris was appointed 2nd Ward Councilmember by Mayor Daniel Biss in September, after former Ald. Peter Braithwaite (2nd) stepped down.

Harris currently serves as chair of the Administrative and Public Works Committee. She also sits on the Human Services and Rules Committees. Harris said she will focus on addressing safety and houselessness in the city, and deciding how to proceed with the Rebuild Ryan Field, during her upcoming term.

For Harris, this election shows the trust community members have in her. 

“I’m very transparent,” she said. “I think people have seen the work that I’ve done.” 

She also said she wants to dedicate time toward interacting with 2nd Ward residents regularly to best serve the community and hone her governing style. 

Gregory said the results reflect “what the majority of the people want,” and she hopes Harris continues to work on her current initiatives, especially regarding safety.   

She appreciates her election opponents for running, she added.

“Even the people that ran — Patricia and Darlene — to make yourself vulnerable like that is huge,” she said. 

Harris’s new term ends May 2025. 

This is a developing story. The Daily will update it as more information becomes available.  

Twitter: @william2tong