Swimming and Diving: Northwestern men take seventh at the Men’s Big Ten Swimming and Diving Championships

Daily file photo by Angeli Mittal

Northwestern men’s swimming and diving teams competed at the Men’s Big Ten Swimming and Diving Championships last weekend in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Kunjal Bastola, Assistant Sports Editor

Northwestern men’s swim and dive team competed in the Men’s Big Ten Swimming and Diving Championships at Canham Natatorium in Ann Arbor, Michigan last week.

Day one featured the 200-yard medley and 800-yard freestyle relays. The Wildcats’ team of sophomore Tyler Lu and seniors Kevin Houseman, Ben Miller and Ethan Churilla took seventh in the medley relay with a time of 1:25.66. NU also clinched seventh in the freestyle relay, as the team of Lu, freshman Jan Karolczak and seniors Ben Forbes and Aleksa Bobar finished with a time of 6:29.29.

On day two, senior Ryan King secured the sixth place spot in the C final of the 500-yard freestyle and 22nd overall, adding about a second to his preliminary time and coming home in 4:25.55 to earn three points for NU. The Cats saw two swimmers make it to the 200-yard individual medley’s B final, as Lu and freshman Tonahuc Zinn finished in 10th and 14th place overall, respectively. 

In the C final of the 50-yard freestyle, Churilla and junior Collin Schuster both went 19.95 to tie for 18th overall. The night ended with the 400-yard medley relay in which the Cats’ team of Lu, Houseman, Churilla and Miller took seventh with a time of 3:08.34.

On day three, NU’s Miller improved 0.01 seconds from his preliminary time to 46.94 to get 14th place overall in the 100-yard butterfly. In the 400-yard IM, Zinn, Lu and King went 20th, 22nd and 23rd overall, respectively. Karolczak and Forbes swam in the B final of the 200-yard freestyle, Karolczak going 1:36.95 and Forbes going 1:36.98 to bring 24.5 points home for NU. 

The 100-yard breaststroke saw NU’s highest place in the competition so far, with Houseman clocking in at 51.90 to get fourth place overall. In the 100-yard backstroke, Schuster took 16th overall with a time of 48.06. The night culminated with the 200-yard freestyle relay in which the team of Schuster, Churilla, Forbes and Lu took eighth place with a time of 1:19.15. 

The last day of competition saw King take 12th place in the mile with a time of 15:15.63. In the 200-yard backstroke, Lu finished in eighth in both the A final and overall, with a time of 1:43.52, about a second slower than his preliminary time of 1:42.83. Senior Marcus Mok came home in seventh place, going 1:54.74 in the A final of the 200-yard breaststroke. Another fourth place finish for NU came from Miller’s swim in the 200 butterfly, dropping almost two seconds off his time from preliminaries and going a 1:41.43. The last event of the meet was the 400-yard freestyle relay: The Cats’ team of Bobar, Forbes, Schuster and Churilla earned seventh place with a time of 2:56.71.

The Cats finished in seventh place overall with a score of 618 points. NU looks ahead to the NCAA Championships next month at the Jean K. Freeman Aquatic Center in Minneapolis. 

Twitter: @kunjal_bastola