The Week Ahead: What’s coming up in Evanston the week of Jan. 9

Illustration by Olivia Abeyta

Curious what’s going on in Evanston this week? Check out this list of upcoming events.

Aviva Bechky, Assistant City Editor

What’s happening in Evanston this week? Here are some events — informative, useful and entertaining — coming up soon.

Blue Monday with Ivy Ford

Jan. 10. Doors open at 7 p.m. Show begins at 8 p.m.

Chicago-based blues singer and musician Ivy Ford will perform Monday night at Evanston SPACE on Chicago Avenue. Tickets are available for $10 online.

All guests at Evanston SPACE are required to show proof of full vaccination and wear masks for the duration of the show.

Produce Mobile

Jan. 11, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.

Produce Mobile offers fresh fruit and vegetables on the second Tuesday of every month to those in need. It can be found at the Robert Crown Community Center while supplies last. 

Interfaith Action of Evanston runs the Produce Mobile in conjunction with the city and the Greater Chicago Food Depository. Residents can register on site or bring a GCFD pantry card.

Understanding the Maze of Medicare

Jan. 12, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Evanston Public Library is hosting a free virtual event addressing questions about Medicare. The event will be presented by Eric Slaughter, who works as a Medicare broker. Per EPL’s website, the session will cover the basics of Medicare and how to get started, as well as what care is covered by Medicare health insurance plans.

Interested residents can register on EPL’s website to receive a Zoom link.

8-Track

Jan. 13 to 16, from either 7 to 9 p.m. or 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., depending on the night. 

The Theo Ubique Cabaret Theatre on Howard Street is performing a musical based on 1970s music about four young adults navigating the changes brought by that decade. The musical began playing at the theatre on Dec. 3, but it’s wrapping up its run soon. 

All visitors must show proof of vaccination to attend. Children under age 12 are not able to attend. A mask is required at all times, with exceptions for eating or drinking. 

Tickets cost between $42 and $54 a person, with a $5 discount for people over age 65. 

Pre-MLK Day discussion with Prof. Kate Masur

Jan. 13, 12 to 1 p.m.

The Evanston History Center is holding a Martin Luther King Jr. Day event ahead of the holiday with history Prof. Kate Masur to discuss her new book “Until Justice Be Done: America’s First Civil Rights Movement, from the Revolution to Reconstruction.” The book details the movement for equal rights prior to the Civil War.

The event will take place virtually. Attendees can register here to receive the Zoom information.

Microwave Cooking Class

Jan. 15, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.

EPL has planned a class on Saturday for children between kindergarten and fifth grade. Attendees can watch demonstrations over Zoom of gluten-free recipes that can be made in the microwave.

An ingredients list will be mailed out ahead of time to people who register. Residents can sign up online.

Cortney Lederer: How Art is Getting Us Through the Pandemic

Jan. 16, 3 to 4 p.m.

As part of the Evanston Art Center’s “In Focus” lecture series, Cortney Lederer will speak about how art has helped people get through the pandemic. Lederer is the founder of CNL Projects, an organization which provides art advising, program design and professional development for artists. 

The event will take place virtually. Register here to attend.

If you have suggestions for events to feature in a similar article or calendar on The Daily, please fill out this form.

This story has been updated to note that the Cortney Lederer event shifted from a hybrid format to virtual-only.

Twitter: @avivabechky