Two dead, one injured in triple shooting near Evanston Township High School

Daily file photo by Daniel Tian

EPD vehicles. EPD and EFD responded to a triple shooting Friday that left two men dead and one with non-life threatening injuries.

Maia Spoto, City Editor

A triple shooting about a block north of Evanston Township High School left two men dead and one man with non-life threatening injuries Friday around noon, according to a Friday Evanston Police Department news release. 

According to an initial investigation, the men were sitting on a porch in the 1800 block of Hovland Ct. when they were shot by a single gunman. 

Evanston Fire Department paramedics treated the three men at the scene and then transported them to Evanston Hospital, according to the release. Demarcus Anthony Cokley, 20, and Jose Francisco Sanchez Guerrero, 21, were pronounced dead at Evanston Hospital. Evanston resident Kyle Wilson, 18, has received treatment.

Friends and relatives have organized GoFundMes to support the families of Cokley and Sanchez Guerrero, as well as for Wilson and his family as Wilson recovers from his injuries. 

The suspect is not yet in custody, according to a Saturday EPD news release.

Police said on Twitter that based on an initial investigation, the shooting was “not a random act.” Police also confirmed on Twitter the shooting is the reason a helicopter was seen hovering above Evanston Township High School. 

Evanston/Skokie School District 65 placed students on a “soft lockdown” through the end of the school day Friday, meaning all doors were locked and students and staff remained in the building until dismissal. There was additional supervision around the school during dismissal, a D65 statement said. 

“Based on an update from the Evanston Police Department, we do not believe there is an active threat to any of our schools at this time,” the statement said. 

EFD and EPD were not able to offer any further information at this time.

This is a developing story and will be updated when further information becomes available.

Twitter: @maia_spoto