Evanston to host another ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event

Samantha Handler, City Editor

The Northwestern University Neighborhood and Community Relations Department will host a “Coffee with a Cop” event Thursday to provide a “casual space” for residents to talk with Evanston police officers.

Police officers will be in the lobby of 1800 Sherman Ave., from 10 a.m. to noon to talk with residents. EPD has had a partnership with Northwestern’s Neighborhood and Community Relations Department for “many years,” according to a Thursday news release, and Northwestern has supported police community engagement efforts including the EPD Citizen Police Academy. The release also said the city, EPD and the Citizen Police Academy Association are sponsoring the event.

According to the release, the “Coffee with a Cop” event builds on EPD’s community policing efforts while providing residents a space to talk with officers, ask questions, share concerns, or “simply talk about sports while sipping a ‘cup of joe’ or drink of their choice.”

The city has held “Coffee with a Cop” events since 2014 and most recently held one last April.

EPD also recently relaunched its Hispanic Officers Liaison program to better serve Evanston’s Latinx community and build on the department’s community outreach efforts.

Twitter: @sn_handler