Blotter: Woman arrested for theft at Jewel-Osco, $2400 laptop stolen from car

Natalie Chun, Reporter

A woman was arrested in connection with a theft early Friday morning at the Jewel-Osco, located at 2485 Howard St.

A 43-year-old Jewel employee reported the theft around 2:35 a.m. on Friday after seeing the woman leave with $84 worth of alcohol. The woman took two bottles of bourbon, a bottle of wine and a bottle of whiskey.

Officers patrolling the area observed a 1998 Chevrolet Blazer that fit the description given by the Jewel employee near the corner of Church Street and Dodge Avenue. The woman sat in the passenger seat and a man drove the car, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. Officers followed the car until it eventually stopped at the 1800 block of Hovland Court.

The man in the driver’s seat exited the car and the passenger fled on foot. Police then detained her and took her into custody. The driver had a revoked license and both were transported to Evanston Police Department.

$2400 laptop stolen from car

A 29-year-old Evanston resident reported a theft from his car Thursday afternoon. He reported a laptop valued at $2,400 was taken.

The man told the responding officers that the theft took place sometime between 8 p.m. on Oct. 9 and 3 p.m. on Oct. 10. His car, a black 2019 Chevrolet Trax, was parked on a street near his residence in the 1600 block of Dobson Street, Glew said.

The man said he didn’t realize the laptop was missing until leaving his residence. After driving to the 1700 block of Orrington Avenue, he inspected the car and found that the laptop was missing from a cardboard box in the back seat, Glew said. The man said he most likely left the vehicle unlocked, and police have found no signs of forced entry.

Glew said there are currently no suspects, and there is no one in custody.