Cross Country: ‘A Havahla Haynes to leave Northwestern for SMU

Former+Northwestern+cross+country+coach+%E2%80%98A+Havahla+Haynes+has+left+the+program+to+take+a+coaching+job+at+SMU.+Haynes+led+the+Wildcats+program+to+gradual+improvements+over+the+past+four+years.+

Source: Northwestern Athletics

Former Northwestern cross country coach ‘A Havahla Haynes has left the program to take a coaching job at SMU. Haynes led the Wildcats program to gradual improvements over the past four years.

Troy Closson, Reporter

Cross Country

Former Northwestern coach ‘A Havahla Haynes has left the position to take a job coaching at Southern Methodist, according to the University’s athletic department. Haynes will lead the Mustangs’ cross country and track & field teams.

Haynes, a University of Wisconsin graduate, coached the Wildcats for the past four seasons after a stint as associate head coach at New Mexico. Before that, she spent two years as the Cats’ assistant cross country coach.

During her tenure as head coach, Haynes gradually improved NU’s standing in the Big Ten — from a 12th place finish at the conference championships in her first season to seventh place this fall. She also coached junior Aubrey Roberts to the first cross country and indoor track All-American honors in program history.

“I want to extend a grateful thank you to Northwestern athletics director Dr. Jim Phillips and Brian Baptiste for taking a chance on me as a first-time head coach,” Haynes said in an SMU news release, “and for trusting in me to lead an exemplary group of women over the last four years.”

Twitter: @troy_closson