Lacrosse: Selena Lasota named finalist for prestigious Tewaaraton Award

Daily file photo by Evan Robinson-Johnson

Selena Lasota maneuvers around a defender. The senior was named a finalist for lacrosse’s most prestigious award last week.

Benjamin Rosenberg, Assistant Sports Editor

Lacrosse

The accolades just keep coming for Selena Lasota.

The senior attacker, already one of the most prolific and decorated players in Northwestern history, was named a finalist for the Tewaaraton Award, the most prestigious honor in college lacrosse, last Thursday.

Lasota was named Big Ten Attacker of the Year on May 6 and leads the conference with 79 goals, 23 more than anybody else. Her 95 points are also 20 more than any other Big Ten player, and her 4.35 goals per game are the fourth-most in the country. She was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week three times this season.

In a game against Michigan on April 18, Lasota scored her 256th career goal, making her the Wildcats’ all-time leading goal scorer. She has been on fire over the past few weeks, having scored at least four goals in each of her last seven games. Not coincidentally, NU has won six of those games.

Lasota was also the fourth overall pick in the Women’s Professional Lacrosse League Draft on April 25. She has the most career goals among active collegiate players.

The Tewaaraton Award is presented to the most outstanding American college lacrosse player, and the winner will be announced May 30 in Washington, D.C. Lasota is one of five finalists for the award, along with Boston College’s Sam Apuzzo and Dempsey Arsenault and Maryland’s Jen Giles and Megan Taylor.

Apuzzo won the award last year, breaking a streak of six consecutive years in which the winner played for Maryland. Should Lasota win, it would be the sixth time an NU player has been honored and the first since Shannon Smith in 2011. The Cats won the award four straight times from 2006 to 2009, with Kristen Kjellman and Hannah Nielsen each winning twice.

Twitter: @bxrosenberg