Demitrous Cook sworn in as new chief of police in Evanston

Ashley Capoot, Reporter

Source: The City of Evanston.
Demitrous Cook is sworn in as the chief of the Evanston Police Department. Cook took over for former-chief Richard Eddington.

Evanston’s new police chief Demitrous Cook was sworn in on Wednesday morning during a brief but emotional ceremony at the Lorraine H. Morton Civic Center.

Cook was selected for the position after a nationwide search that began when former police chief Richard Eddington announced his plan to retire in 2018.

City manager Wally Bobkiewicz told The Daily that he hopes Cook will help the police force continue to grow in years to come.

“Chief Eddington, who retired at the end of December, put together an outstanding force over his 11-plus years as police chief,” Bobkiewicz said. “I fully expect that Chief Cook will continue that good tradition, do it in a way that’s safe and do it in a way that’s respectful to all.”

Cook has worked in law enforcement for 37 years and had served as chief of police in the Glenwood Police Department since 2010. However, Cook is no stranger to Evanston, as he spent 26 years of his career in the Evanston Police Department.

“He spent an entire career with us before he retired as a deputy chief, so those community connections remain,” Bobkiewicz said. “There were many members of the Evanston community present this morning, so I think that he’s going to be able to pick up right where he left off after he retired several years ago.”

Hazel Crest police chief Mitchell Davis, Cook’s colleague from the South Suburban Association of Chiefs of Police, spoke at Cook’s swearing in-ceremony and read a proclamation from the organization’s president and executive board. The proclamation recognized Cook’s accomplishments and dubbed Dec. 20, 2018 as Demitrous Cook Day.

Bobkiewicz said he was impressed by the amount of support Cook received from his colleagues at the event.

“It was an outstanding affair. There were police chiefs and police executives from all over Northern Illinois there to honor and recognize Chief Cook,” said Bobkiewicz. “The outpour of support from his colleagues really helped solidify the right choices we made in hiring Chief Cook as our new police chief.”

To conclude the ceremony, Cook asked his tearful mother to help him pin on his badge, and he made a brief statement to express his gratitude toward his former colleagues and Evanston.

“I want to thank the City of Evanston for trusting me. I’m going to do the best job I can do,” Cook said. “I’m glad to be here, thank you.”

Twitter: @ashleycapoot