New director of student conduct calls for more student involvement

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

Lucas Christain, assistant dean and director of student conduct, stands at his desk. Christain became the director on June 28.

Elizabeth Byrne, Assistant Campus Editor

As the new assistant dean of students and director of student conduct, Lucas Christain said he wants to identify core issues on campus and connect with students.

Christain, who joined Northwestern this summer, will work out of the Office of Student Conduct. He said some students have already reached out to him about creating a more safe and healthy environment on campus surrounding alcohol.

“We really want to ensure that students understand the Amnesty through Responsible Action policy,” Christain said, referring to a University policy that offers amnesty to students who assist intoxicated or impaired individuals. “We’re really trying to encourage students to focus on their role and responsibility in keeping the community safe and looking out for each other.”

Christain said his office met with Greek leadership and is seeking out other student organizations to help spread awareness.

Dan Amato, assistant director for residential life, said Christain brings a new, student-focused perspective to the office. Amato serves as a liaison for Christain’s office and the Office of Residential Life to manage residential conduct concerns.

“He’s an awesome addition to the team and I think he’s bringing some excellent focus and expertise,” Amato said. “The students will see, as a population, the impact and the effect and the positive way that’s he’s having on the direction that we’re going with the office.”

Christain succeeds Tara Sullivan, who left in late 2016. Christain said he always admired the positive reputation of the University’s student affairs office and couldn’t pass up the opportunity to work with the “high-achieving and hard-working” community.

Looking forward, Christain said he wants the Office of Student Conduct to serve as a resource for students to learn more about campus processes and policies.

“In general, our initiatives and focuses are on how we engage with students in ways that are not just reactive, but proactive,” he said.

Twitter: @lizbyrne33