New University committee aims to help student veterans

Allyson Chiu, Assistant Campus Editor

The University created a new committee that will make recommendations to improve support for student veterans.

Patricia Telles-Irvin, vice president of student affairs, told The Daily in an email that the committee was recently approved by her and Provost Dan Linzer.

“(The committee is) going to be coming up with more recommendations in terms of making sure that our veterans feel welcome, and they have services and the support they need to be successful,” Telles-Irvin said.

Most of Northwestern’s student veterans are in the School of Professional Studies and Kellogg, Telles-Irvin said.

Improving resources to support student veterans is one of many steps the University is taking to improve diversity and inclusion on campus, according to an email sent by Linzer and Telles-Irvin to students in September.

Recent graduate Alec Kinczewski (SPS ‘16) served as an active duty officer for eight years in the U.S. Army before enrolling in the University’s pre-medicine post-baccalaureate certificate program. Kinczewski said although he did not notice a “glaring lack of resources” for student veterans, he is still looking forward to seeing what recommendations the committee has.

“It’s great they’re paying that kind of attention,” Kinczewski said. “Northwestern’s always shown a willingness to try and do things to help out the veterans. … So I’m pretty excited to see what they come up with.”

Twitter: @_allysonchiu