Kafker, Morales set to appear in court Oct. 31

Daily file photo by Courtney Morrison

Two former Northwestern students were charged in March with felony vandalism in connection with graffiti found in Alice Millar Chapel. They appeared in court on Wednesday for an updated status of their cases.

Fathma Rahman, Development and Recruitment

Former Northwestern students Matthew Kafker and Anthony Morales appeared in court Wednesday to determine an updated status of their cases relating to the March 11 vandalism of Alice Millar Chapel.

Kafker and Morales were arrested in connection with homophobic, anti-Semitic, racist and otherwise offensive graffiti found by University Police in Alice Millar. The graffiti included a swastika, drawings of male genitalia and the word “Trump.”

“We don’t know what’s going to happen at the next date, but today (the case) was continued for status of discovery,” said Barry Spector, Kafker’s lawyer.

The two were indicted on 24 criminal charges, which included institutional vandalism, criminal damage to property and hate crime to a place of worship. Both Morales and Kafker pleaded not guilty at their arraignments in May.

Spector told The Daily that Kafker was “incredibly intoxicated” when he allegedly vandalized the chapel, stressing this was out of the character for the former NU student.

Morales and Kafker will next appear in court on Oct. 31.

Twitter: @fathmarahman