Police Blotter: Man strikes ambulance attendant before fleeing vehicle

Julia Jacobs and Joanne Lee

A man who was being transported Friday in an ambulance to Evanston Hospital after making suicidal threats fled the vehicle after striking the ambulance attendant in the face, police said.

The 32-year-old resident of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, was being transported from a hospital in Skokie to Evanston Hospital at about 4:35 p.m. when the man hit a 26-year-old female ambulance attendant, collected his personal belongings and fled the vehicle southbound from Gross Point Road and Central Street. The attendant suffered an injury to her nose.

The attacker was described as a 5-foot-3-inch black man, weighing about 240 lbs. and wearing hospital scrubs, police said. The man also had a black hooded sweatshirt in his personal belongings.

Police had not located the man as of Sunday afternoon.

Elderly woman robbed while unloading groceries

An 85-year-old woman was robbed Friday while unloading groceries in her driveway, police said.

The woman reported to police that she was robbed at about 5 p.m. while unloading groceries from the trunk of her vehicle in front of her residence in the 2400 block of Hastings Avenue. The woman said she felt something hit the back of her head, knocking her down and the groceries out of her hand, police said.

The woman, who thought the impact was of a trunk closing on her, later realized her purse that had been around her arm was missing. The purse contained the woman’s wallet and $16. The woman was transported to Evanston Hospital and is in stable condition.

Man charged with driving under the influence

A 47-year-old man was arrested early Thursday morning in connection with driving under the influence.

Police stopped the man’s vehicle at about 12:30 a.m. in the 7000 block of North Western Avenue when they noticed he was driving at a high speed without his headlights on, said Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan. Police gave the man a field sobriety test but arrested the man after he refused to participate in a breathalyzer test, Dugan said.

The man was charged with a misdemeanor for driving under the influence of alcohol. He was given two traffic tickets for driving without lights and no proof of insurance and is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 17.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj

Twitter: @leehjoanne