Can’t-miss Chicago events

Helen Lee, Reporter

A&E

As the end of the year approaches, now is the prime time to venture outside of Evanston’s city limits and visit Chicago. The Daily compiled this list of downtown spring and early summer events. Read them, choose your own adventure and have fun!

Mayfest 2015 | May 15-17 | 3100 N Ashland Ave, Chicago, IL 60657 | $7.50 Single Admission Pass or $10 at the gate

Mayfest is a three-day festival featuring great music and delicious food. The event will feature the following bands: Hairbanger’s Ball, Smells Like Nirvana, Too White Crew, Wedding Banned, Infinity, Suburban Cowboys, Rod Tuffcurls, 7th heaven, Mr. Blotto and A Bloke Named Smokey.

Chicago’s Memorial Day Parade | May 23 | State Street from Lake Street to Van Buren, Chicago IL, 60602 | free

Gather in downtown Chicago to honor the men and women who died for our country. The Wreath Laying Ceremony will begin at 11 a.m. at Dearborn Street and Washington Street and the parade will begin at noon and head south on State Street.

Navy Pier Summer Fireworks | May 23-Sept. 5 on Wednesdays and Saturdays | free

Visit Chicago’s Navy Pier to view fireworks over Lake Michigan. The twice-a-week show goes on all summer and is the perfect finale to a day in the city.

Belmont-Sheffield Music Festival | May 23-24 | North Sheffield from Belmont to Roscoe | free

Located just a few steps from the Belmont Chicago Transit Authority stop on the Red Line, the Belmont-Sheffield Music Festival will kick off its outdoor summer music lineup in Chicago’s Lakeview neighborhood. The festival will feature 10 bands, arts and crafts, and fashion, and donations will benefit the Central Lakeview Merchants Association.

Millennium Art Festival | May 29-31 | Located two blocks north of Millennium Park | free

The Millennium Art Festival will showcase a wide array of paintings, ceramics, photography and furniture in downtown Chicago. It will showcase the talents of hundreds of artists and live performances.

Chicago Gospel Music Festival | May 29-31 | Millennium Park | free

The 30th Chicago Gospel Music Festival will showcase the best in gospel with performers from around the world. The event will kick off with multiple preview events.

Pilsen Food Truck Fest | June 6-7 | 18th Street between Racine and Throop in Chicago’s Pilsen Neighborhood | free

The Pilsen Food Truck Social will feature more than 40 food trucks in its new neighborhood street fest. Located in Chicago’s Lower West Side, the festival will offer mobile meals, snacks and treats. There will be live music and a portion of the proceeds will benefit soup kitchens and food banks.

Remix Chicago Recycled Art Fair | June 6-7 | Logan Square on Milwaukee Ave. | free

Logan Square’s Recycled Art Fair features live music from indie bands and celebrates the art of reusing and recycling to create incredible things. There will be free workshops, food and art for sale.

Ribfest Chicago | June 12-14 | Irving Park | free

Ribfest Chicago will feature music and barbecue.

Chicago Blues Festival | June 12-14 | Grant Park | free

Buddy Guy will headline this event, which is known as one of the largest free blues festival in the world. The Chicago Blues Festival will premiere music from more than a dozen impressive performers.