ASG amends constitution, approves Wild Ideas funding

Sophie Mann/The Daily Northwestern

Weinberg senior Taylor Billings, a former co-chair of the Freshman Urban Program, asks Senate for $750 in Wild Ideas funding. Senate approved the group’s request.

Shane McKeon, Assistant Campus Editor

Associated Student Government Senate voted to amend its constitution Wednesday, making the vice president for student activities directly elected by student groups instead of senators.

The post becomes the only cabinet position not confirmed by senators. Groups will vote on the next vice president for student activities at the Student Organization Symposium on Sunday.

ASG President Noah Star, who advocated for the amendment during his campaign, said the measure aims to give students and groups a larger role in ASG.

“We’re trying to bring democracy to the people,” Star said.

The current vice president for student activities is Weinberg junior Parag Dharmavarapu, whom Star said will run for the position when groups vote on it Sunday.

All but one senator voted in favor of the amendment.

SESP sophomore Bella Sandoval, Northwestern Community Development Corps’ senator, said the change is appropriate given the vice president’s job.

“It makes more sense for someone who advocates for student groups to be directly elected by student groups,” she said.

Star said he and Executive Vice President Christina Kim will release their first 100-Day Plan this weekend. The plan, which was also part of Star and Kim’s platform, will outline projects for the two and ASG to complete in the coming weeks.

Senate also approved $1,750 in Wild Ideas funding for the Freshman Urban Program and NCDC. Both groups are organizing events that bring Chicago artists or musicians to campus.

Sandoval said students don’t explore Chicago as much as they could, so the events will bring the city to them.

“It’s super important, because it’s something Northwestern students miss out on often,” she said.

Medill freshman Elena Sucharetza, speaking for NCDC, said the group is looking to bring a Chicago hip-hop artist to campus to speak about the city’s rap scene and social activism. She said the group hopes to hold the event later this month.

The Wild Ideas Fund comprises $20,000 Senate sets aside for the Wild Ideas Committee to allocate to students and student groups.

Senate also confirmed 10 members for its B-status funding committee.

Some senators observed Pajama Day, the Senate’s first themed meeting. Star announced at the meeting last week he would be promoting themes for Senate meetings.

Star said next week’s theme is “purple pride.”

Twitter: @Shane_McKeon