Medill announces Hall of Achievement honorees

Mariana Alfaro, Assistant Campus Editor

Six alumni will be inducted into the Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications’ Hall of Achievement in May, the school announced Wednesday.

“These alumni truly represent the best of Medill,” said Medill Dean Brad Hamm in a news release. “They have distinguished themselves in their fields and are a credit to their alma mater. We are proud to recognize their outstanding achievements.”

The honorees include David Barstow (Medill ’86), a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist at The New York Times; Patricia Blackburn (Medill ’74, ’76), an award-winning communications executive; Jack Modzelewski (Medill ’80), president of the Americas for FleishmanHillard; James Risen (Medill ’78), a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist at The New York Times, and Nancy Utley (Medill ’77, ’78), president of Fox Searchlight Pictures.

“Game of Thrones” author George R.R. Martin (Medill ’70, ’71) will also be inducted and will receive his award at a campus event in the fall.

Mara Brock Akil (Medill ‘92) will receive the Alumni Merit Award for Medill. Brock Akil is the creator, producer and writer of several television shows on ABC, the CW and Black Entertainment Television, among others. She will receive the award at the Northwestern Alumni Association banquet in April in Chicago.

Twitter: @marianaa_alfaro