Police Blotter: April 6

Julian Gerez, Reporter

Possible arson in south Evanston

Police responded to what may have been an incident of arson in an apartment building near the Chicago-Evanston border early Friday morning.

At around 1:50 a.m., police were dispatched to a fire on the second floor of a building in the 300 block of Howard Street where most of the units are being renovated, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

The fire appeared to have been started in the kitchen area, and residents of the building reported someone from the area who may have been responsible for the fire had had a dispute related to the unit where the fire started, Dugan said.

Dugan characterized the incident as “suspicious.”

Three cars broken into within one block of each other

Three different cars were broken into within one block of each other overnight Wednesday, police said.

Somebody broke the front driver’s side window of the first car, a 1994 Dodge pickup truck, in an alley in the 1900 block of Darrow Avenue, but nothing was taken, Dugan said.

Someone stole two compact discs worth a total of about $20 as well as $2 in loose change from the second car, a 2004 Toyota, in the same block, police said.

The driver’s side window of the third car, a 2005 Dodge, was also found broken Thursday morning, Dugan said. That Dodge was parked in the 1800 block of Emerson Street, police said, which is less than a block from the break-ins in the 1900 block of Darrow Avenue.

Twitter: @JulianEGerez