Police Blotter: Jan. 29

Julian Gerez, Reporter

Two cars broken into on same block

Two cars were broken into Friday night in the same block of south Evanston, police said.

The two vehicles were parked right next to each other in a residential area in the 1500 block of South Boulevard, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. Both cars did not show any signs of forced entry or items missing, but their glove compartments were dumped out, he said.

One car was a 2009 Dodge belonging to a 56-year-old man and the other was a 1999 Pontiac belonging to a 78-year-old woman, who said the vehicle was locked at the time of the incident, Dugan said.

Three motor vehicles burglarized

Three more cars were broken into Tuesday night about a mile away from the other two incidents.

The three burglarized vehicles were all located within two blocks of each other. One of the vehicles, a 2000 Mazda, was left unlocked by its 47-year-old owner on the corner of Judson Avenue and South Boulevard. Loose change was removed from the woman’s vehicle, police said.

A 2012 Nissan, was also left unlocked in the 400 block of South Boulevard. An officer was in the area and observed the ajar passenger door of the 29-year-old woman’s vehicle. The officer later found a black purse in the alley, which the vehicle’s owner identified as hers, Dugan said.

The third car burglary occurred in the 700 block of Judson Avenue, where an unlocked 2010 Toyota, was broken into but nothing was taken, police said.

All three incidents occurred between 9:30 p.m. and 11:21 p.m., police said.

Dugan said residents should always keep their car doors locked when they are away from their vehicles.

“It deters people from stealing items,” he said. “But it’ll also slow down a potential offender if we get there before the burglary is completed.”

Twitter: @JulianEGerez