Men’s Soccer: Numerous Wildcats honored with postseason awards

Bobby Pillote, Assistant Sports Editor

Soccer

After a successful regular season which saw Northwestern finish third in an ultra-competitive Big Ten, several Wildcats players were awarded postseason honors Wednesday.

Two of the highest awards were given to senior goalkeeper Tyler Miller and senior defender Nikko Boxall, who won goalkeeper of the year and defensive player of the year, respectively.

Miller led the conference in goals against average with .56 per game and in save percentage with a .853 mark while recording nine shutouts.

Playing centerback in front of Miller, Boxall contributed to the goalie’s gaudy numbers and added two goals and three assists on offense this year.

Several other NU players also brought home hardware. Junior forward Joey Calistri and junior midfielder Cole Missimo were named second team All-Big Ten at their respective positions after each player finished the season with 14 points.

Freshman forwards Sam Forsgren and Elo Ozumba were both placed on the All-Freshman team. Forsgren started 10 games for the Cats and contributed 1 goal and two assists, while Ozumba saw action in 17 games as a super-sub and tallied four assists.

Additionally, senior midfielder Connor Holloway was named a Sportsmanship Award honoree, recognizing his sportsmanship and ethical behavior.

Twitter: @BobbyPillote