Blotter: May 15

Julian Gerez, Assistant City Editor

Two men charged with aggravated assault to a police officer

Two Evanston residents were arrested in connection with aggravated assault to a police officer Monday evening.

Police responded to complaints of a loud party with more than 50 people causing disturbance in the 1900 block of Jackson Avenue, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The party was blocking a public way and alcohol was present, police said.

Police were attempting to disperse the crowd at about 7:20 p.m. when the two men, aged 22 and 29, made threatening statements to police officers and approached them, making them feel threatened, Parrott said.

The two men were charged with aggravated assault to a police officer. The 22-year-old was also charged with disorderly conduct. None of the charges are felonies.

The two men are scheduled to appear in court June 17.

Packages stolen from two apartment buildings in south Evanston

In separate incidents, two packages were stolen from two different apartment buildings in south Evanston in the past two weeks.

One package was stolen sometime between May 5 and 6. It contained about $180 worth of clothing and other items that belonged to a 90-year-old woman, Parrott said. The other package was stolen Tuesday and contained toys and a pair of children’s shoes worth about $55, police said. Both packages were stolen from apartment buildings in the 500 block of Michigan Avenue.

Three packages were stolen from an apartment building in that same block earlier this month.

(Blotter: May12)

Parrott said he could not say if these events were related. Stolen packages are a common problem that sometimes occurs in patterns, he said.

“Packages should be left in a secure area of the building,” he said.

Twitter: @JGerez_news