Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

That’s my jam: Morty Schapiro

If you have any semblance of school spirit, you’ve probably caught a glimpse of President Morton Schapiro at the sidelines of football games, most memorably shoulder-to-shoulder with Grand Marshal Seth Meyers at the homecoming parade last month. Though he’s busy keeping up with the Big Ten and, you know, keeping Northwestern running (casual!), Schapiro spared a few moments to recommend his favorite tunes and literature.

The Current: What’s on your iPod these days? Any songs you would recommend for the coming winter season?

Morton Schapiro: I never get tired of Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor and Norah Jones. To get you through the winter I recommend Israel Kamakawiwo’ole’s brilliant rendition of “Over the Rainbow,” Jeff Buckley’s “Hallelujah” and Keb’ Mo’s “Times They are A-Changin.”

The Current: Do you have a favorite film of all time, or any recent films you’d pay to watch more than once?

Morton Schapiro: 50 First Dates has everything you can look for in a movie.

The Current: Of anything you’ve read, books or articles, what has left the deepest impact on your life or career?

Morton Schapiro: I am always reading fiction and just finished The Invisible Bridge, which was wonderful. The New York Times is one of the greatest gifts to mankind and I can’t last a day without reading every word.

The Current: Since you have such a busy schedule, do you have any favorite television shows on your DVR for spare moments?

Morton Schapiro: ESPN and the Big Ten Network.

The Current: Excluding northwestern.edu, what websites seem to draw hours out of your day?

Morton Schapiro: Lake the Posts.

– Colleen Park

That’s my jam: Morty Schapiro