ID policy changes at University Library after security concerns

In an attempt to tighten security at University Library this academic year, students are now required to scan a WildCARD or NU library card upon entering the building at all hours. Likewise, alumni are required to present Alumni Association cards, and members of the general public must have a valid form of ID.

A statement on the library website said Associated Student Government and University Police encouraged the change in policy to address crime in the Library. Since last January, there have been more than 20 incidents in the library reported by University Police. Stolen property accounted for 12 of the incidents, but there were also reports of suspicious person entrances.

“Thefts happen in this library, so we’re always looking for ways where we can improve our security,” said Clare A. Roccaforte, the library’s director of public relations. “Managing and knowing who comes into our building will help us to do that.”

Before the policy was implemented Sept. 8, the library practiced an open-door policy. Anyone could enter the premises between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., after which only members of the campus community could access the library with WildCARDs until closing time.

Roccaforte stresses the entry hours for members of the public have not changed.

“We still have the same policy in place about who can come in at what time. We’re just asking everyone to scan or sign in at all times.”

For some students, the policy is an inconvenience. Weinberg freshman Emmalee Windle said she encountered problems scanning the barcode on her WildCARD and was eventually told by the librarian at the front desk she needed to get it replaced at the WildCARD office in Norris University Center.

“It was quite a hassle. I literally stood there for 15 minutes trying to get in,” she said.

Other students, however, are indifferent to scanning their WildCARDs before entry.

“It doesn’t really affect me. I carry my WildCARD everywhere anyway,” McCormick sophomore Sam Toizer said.

For alumni and Evanston residents, the change could make the library less accessible. Roccaforte said library administrators are aware of the concern and are trying to reach out to community members.

“We haven’t had any negative reaction yet, but we’re trying to get the message out to alumni and the Evanston community that they are still welcome to come,” she said.

Alumnus Joe Ruklick (MSJ ’90), Weinberg ’59, said he welcomed the new measures.

“There should be restrictions protecting University Library from troublemakers,” he said. “I need this place. It’s too valuable.”

The other major library on NU’s Evanston campus, the Mudd Science and Engineering Library, currently does not require patrons to scan or register before entry. Roccaforte said, however, that plans are underway to implement the new system there, although she is not sure when it will come into effect.