Residents drop keys for Car-Free Day

Evanston encouraged residents to put down the keys, step away from the vehicle and get moving at downtown’s Car-Free Pit Stop as part of the 2011 Chicagoland Car-Free Day on Thursday.

Despite the chilly morning, passersby toured the pit stop starting at 6 a.m. outside the 909 Davis building. Car-Free Day was organized by the Active Transportation Alliance (ATA), along with the City of Evanston, Chicago Transit Authority, Metra, Pace, Regional Transportation Authority and other communities around the region. Organizers touted the economic, environmental and health benefits of walking, bike riding and taking public transportation to commute instead of driving one’s car.

The City of Evanston distributed new bike route maps as well as car-free goody bags donated by Whole Foods. Bikes lined the sidewalks and road as booths by the Evanston Bicycle Club, The Recyclery Bike Shop and Argo Tea supported the cause by distributing pamphlets and free samples.

The initiative also focused on making transportation safer and easier for bikers and walkers. The city’s bike maps have the locations of bike racks of various sizes around the city, which were mapped out with the help of volunteers, including Northwestern students, said Barb Cornew, Active Trans North suburban coordinator of the ATA.

“It’s all about changing behavior, which is really hard to do,” Cornew said as she scrambled to fill Whole Foods bags with large red apples and bike maps as eager volunteers handed them out to passersby.

Cornew cited past transportation reform such as seatbelt laws that also were slow to come to fruition.

“It’s really a long-term process, but we’ve already got a huge community of people who bike and walk,” she said.

Among the biggest community efforts represented at the pit stop included Citizens’ Greener Evanston (CGE), an organization made up of Evanston residents committed to developing a more sustainable city.

Member Andrew Irwin said CGE’s transportation goals include highlighting the economic benefits of being car-free, making sure public transportation is effective and attracting bikers downtown with sound infrastructure. Members also promoted their weekly Green Drink event, where all community members are welcome to discuss various issues on sustainability at Firehouse Grill.

“It’s a great launch pad for ideas,” said Irwin, who became involved with CGE in high school. “We’re also trying to get more young people engaged.”

Suggestions from the city to reduce individual car usage include creating a car pool with co-workers, walking while the weather is nice, taking public transportation and taking advantage of car sharing services such as Zipcar and iGo, according to the city’s website.

New Evanston resident Taiyon Calbert doesn’t own a bike, but after living in the city for only three weeks she is already touting the pedestrian benefits of downtown.

“It’s excellent. I walk everywhere now. It’s really safe,” Calbert said, after winning a free cup of coffee from Unicorn