Unzipped: Long distance relationships

The Long Distance Struggle

It’s getting to be that time again. Summer is approaching, and the new relationship you have been cultivating throughout the year has finally become something meaningful just in time to separate and go home. Many people fear the long-distance relationship for a variety of reasons: There are more chances for your partner to cheat and question the value of the relationship when you are not in close proximity. Don’t get me wrong, long-distance relationships are not for everyone. But they are not as scary as they seem. Take a look at these steps to see if you and your partner are ready for this summer.

Make the commitment.

This is essential. You both have to be committed to each other because without this there can’t be trust between you two. If you are not ready to say that you will stay exclusive while you are apart, then you might not be ready for a long-distance relationship.

Know your expectations.

What are you going to do to ease the hurt of the separation? You can set up specific days for phone or Skype conversations. Maybe you tell each other to expect a call good night, perhaps you’re a couple that texts or maybe communication isn’t available at all. Whatever you decide to do, know what is expected from each of you during your separation and stick with it so that it makes the transition easier and less painful.

Speaking of communication…

If communication is possible during your time of separation, make time to actually have a good conversation. Stay up to date in each other’s lives and make a point to include your partner in your life – doing this will make sure your partner doesn’t feel ignored and affirm your feelings for them.

How long is long distance?

If it’s possible and if you both agree, plan a visit! Nothing cheers up a summer of separation like looking forward to a future date together after a long hiatus!

Relax.

Trust your partner. If they have made the commitment to you, you have nothing to worry about. Missing being together will be hard, but you can rest assured that you are not alone and that your relationship is strong. After all, a few months of separation is a short amount of time in the grand scheme of things.