Double the work: Behind the Bienen dual major

Northwestern sophomore Justin Lueker takes five classes per quarter and will spend five years completing his undergraduate work because his interests in both engineering and music were too hard to decide between.

In order to pursue both of his passions, Lueker participates in NU’s dual degree program within the Bienen School of Music. Lueker is currently studying both music and engineering, completing degrees in Bienen and the McCormick School of Engineering. He said this option was one of the elements that drew him to NU.

“I plan on pursuing a career in engineering but I also want to take advantage of the world-class music school,” he said.

For students with interests in music and another field, it’s not too late to join the dual degree program, which is offered to students until sophomore year.

The program offers the combination of a music degree from Bienen School of Music and another degree from McCormick, Medill or Weinberg and takes five years to complete. The program is not open to students enrolled in the School of Communication or the School of Education and Social Policy.

Upon joining, students are assigned an advisor specifically for their dual degree.

“When you get into the dual degree program, the advisors do a really good job setting up your schedule so it’s not very complicated,” Medill and Bienen freshman Hillary Lindwall said. “My quarter actually went by really well and I wasn’t overwhelmed.”

For Lueker, his freshman year in Weinberg was not challenging enough; he wanted to pursue his passion in music. After transferring to the dual degree program the beginning of his sophomore year, he now has a schedule he prefers.

“Balancing two different majors takes commitment and planning ahead,” Lueker says, “I usually think every day what I have to get done and my classes are mixed together. I’m back and forth on campus – the day is pretty busy.”

Instead of simply taking classes and not pursuing the second degree, Lindwall said she prefers the dual degree program because it forces her to practice and to keep up with her music.

“It’s worth doing a little more work and getting a higher education than not majoring,” Lindwall said. “I think you get a lot out of it by doing a little bit more.”

Although students can apply straight out of high school, freshmen still have the option of transferring into the program at the beginning of sophomore year. Students don’t have to finalize anything until the end of junior year when they declare their majors and usually take five classes each quarter instead of the typical four.

“Students who do well are those who are very motivated, have a clear plan, and have really good time management. They want to combine two interests,” said Bienen Director of Admissions and dual degree advisor, Ryan O’Mealey. “Students really seem to like the flexibility for them to decide if it’s right for them, instead of sticking to one track.”

O’Mealey’s advice on the dual degree program is to do thorough research before making any final decisions.

“Explore the possibilities at first. You don’t have to declare it for a while – you have plenty of time to see what’s possible,” O’Mealey said. “You should explore what fields to add classes to and talk with faculty and advisors.”

At least for Lueker, the fifth year required to be spent on campus is not a deterrent to be in the program.

“The way I see it, it seems like most people regret having to leave college and would prefer to stay longer,” Lueker said. “I don’t think it would be a terrible thing to stay an extra year.”