Futami closes, plans to relocate

Unable to stay afloat among similar Evanston eateries, Japanese restaurant Futami closed March 31 with plans to relocate from its spot at the Orrington Hilton.

Futami, 1700 Orrington Ave., had been open for a little more than three years, according to a letter posted on their doors, replacing previous tenant Blu Sushi.

Hilton General Manager Russ Abell said Futami has indefinite plans to relocate and the hotel will announce the restaurant’s replacement by June.

Abell said that while Futami did not go bankrupt, the restaurant was losing money and the owners felt they could not continue to subsidize operations in Evanston.

“They were good guys,” Abell said. “They gave it their best shot. Had it been a different economic time I think that they would probably still have been there, but they’re just another casualty as the case may be.”

While the hotel’s guests were important customers, Abell said winning the hearts and loyalty of Evanston residents should be the first priority of a successful business.

Futami’s former owner could not be reached at press time, but a letter posted April 1 on Futami’s doors thanks Evanston residents, the Northwestern community and hotel guests for their friendship and patronage. It adds that hopefully customers “have enjoyed delicious meals, great service and fun times” throughout its run.

“The restaurant business is a science,” Abell said. “It’s half food service, half emotion and while (Futami) made good friends, it became too competitive a market.”

With several Evanston dining options serving sushi on the menu, the restaurant ultimately went belly up.

Eating sushi across the street at Sashimi Sashimi, 640 Church St., McCormick junior Bozhong Xue said he will sorely miss the lunch bento boxes at Futami.

“Their sushi was really great, but they were just a little bit expensive compared to Sashimi Sashimi,” Xue said.

Sashimi Sashimi server Kevin Brown said that while it has gotten busier over the past few weeks, it is not yet clear whether Futami’s closing is the cause.

“It doesn’t look like it’s made a big difference but it might in the future,” Brown said in reference to the closing’s impact on Sashimi Sashimi’s business.

Brown also said that Sashimi Sashimi attracts a different market, as more of a fast food restaurant, while Futami offered more of a sit-down fine-dining experience.

With regards to sushi offerings in Evanston, there are still many other fish in the sea, and as Xue added, “There’s always Norris.”