Backburner: Food truck secrets

Curb your hunger at the curb this reading week. A number of food trucks cruise the streets of Chicago. Most have downtown routes, so save up your calories and make a day trip.

Looking for Latin flavor? Try some Mexican food from Tamalli Space Charros fresh off the “tamalespaceship.” They keep a weekly schedule on their online blog.

One of my newest Twitter followers, @Pepitopepper, is keeping me posted on deals for burritos that you can buy from the Traveling Burrito truck in downtown Chicago. Along with some interesting commentary en Español, you can find updates for the trucks location on Twitter.

Another option is the Gaztro-Wagon, where you can find the Naan-Wich, “a fresh approach to flatbread,” according to their website. Originally tested in the Gaztro-Wagon are Meatyballs, which you can find in the Meatyballs Mobile in Chicago.

For dessert, there’s a Flirty Cupcakes truck that travels around Chicago and the surrounding areas. They’re exceptionally good at updating their location on Twitter. If a mobile cupcake command center doesn’t make you want to jump on the food truck bandwagon, then you clearly need to level-up your snacking habits.

Then again, trucks may be too mobile for you. Here’s a recipe for some peanut butter fudge you can make without even leaving your dorm. Of curse, only attempt this if you’re brave enough to cook in those grease-encrusted microwaves.

You need 12 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips, 12 ounces of peanut butter, a 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk.

Place a bowl of chocolate chips and peanut butter in the microwave and nuke it until it all melts. Depending on the strength of your microwave, this could take up to three minutes on high. To keep the chocolate from burning you can melt it in 1-minute intervals and mix it around a little each time you stop it. Stir it up, then add the milk and stir it again. Pour it into an 8-by-8 inch pan (lining it with wax paper is probably a good idea), then pop it in the fridge until it’s ready.