Party Preview: Alianza and THUNK

Alianza Latin Dance Party

Alianza, the Hispanic/Latino Student Alliance, is hosting a night of salsa, bachata, merengue, reggaeton and cumbia music at their Latin Dance Party on Saturday from 7 to 11 p.m. in Parkes Hall room 122, 1870 Sheridan Road.

The event is free to anyone and dancing is not required. According to the Facebook invite, “You can just come and socialize and enjoy good music by our amazing DJ Rigo! Also, if you want to try, anyone and everyone will be down with teaching you a few moves.”

Though Alianza sponsors the event, membership is not required to attend. “There’s nothing else like this on campus,” Communication freshman and event organizer Juanita Andersen said. “We thought it would be a fun way to get together and celebrate the Latino population on campus.”

THUNK Presents: Love Sucks

The a cappella group THUNK is performing three nights this week in the Jones Fine and Performing Arts Residential College Great Room, 1820 Sheridan Road in the spirit of Valentine’s Day – well, sort of.

“If candy hearts and roses make you vomit more than the Keg, have no fear: THUNK wants to be your Valentine this year,” the Facebook event said.

Show times are as follows: Thursday at 11 p.m., Friday at 8 and 11 p.m. and Saturday at 8 and 11 p.m. Tickets are $5 at the door and the show lasts one hour, with one 10-minute intermission.

“As Valentine’s Day is approaching, Northwestern’s oldest a cappella group decided to create an expose on love vs. lust and hookups vs. relationships,” Bienen and Weinberg senior and THUNK member Kate Kirschner said. “Our show is just making fun of college romantic adventures.”