Back burner: Valentine’s ideas

No one would care about Valentine’s Day if it weren’t for all the treats.

If you get your significant other a Valentine’s Day Toblerone from the C-store, they have full license to slap you. Leave those for those people who are less likely to spend money in celebration of Singles’ Awareness Day.

From now until Valentine’s Day, Bennison’s Bakery will award you a free heart-shaped cookie when you say, “Give me some love, Bennison’s!” They also have the most delicious, giant red velvet cupcakes. Panera offers large individually wrapped heart cookies and baggies of bite-sized ones. Whole Foods Market also sells pre-wrapped iced Valentine’s Day cookies.

February 14 means infusing your blood with sugar. But if your significant other is on a strict diet and has a sense of humor, I recently discovered that Evanston has an Edible Arrangements. They sell flower arrangements made out of fruit. Yes, you read that correctly. It’s a bouquet you can eat. If that doesn’t make them realize how much they love you, then they’re probably not that into you anyway.

If you’re taking someone out, your date will appreciate you thinking out of the box – especially if your box is usually a little greasy white one from B.K. The Celtic Knot on Church Street is an ideal cozy sit-down place if you’re 21 orolder. The exotic menu will make you feel refined even if you order a burger. Just one bit of advice: Stay away from the Scotch egg. The menu may make it seem tempting, but unless you like a boiled egg wrapped in a half-thawed out sausage it’s probably not a wise ordering decision.

You could also venture farther out into Evanston and go to The Cheesecake Factory or Maggiano’s Little Italy at Old Orchard – though be sure to plan some sort of cute diversion for the not-so-whimsical CTA 201 bus ride.