Back burner: Super food for the Super Bowl

Regardless of whether or not you actually care about the outcome of Super Bowl XLV, most of us will be dropping the books for the annual tribute to the three sacred pillars of American society: watching football, offering ourselves up to expensive marketing and eating till we feel like the linemen on the TV screen.

If you’re hosting a group of friends for this event, I’m sure you have a long grocery list. Hopefully these suggestions will make your life a little easier.

As far as dips go, the typical options are ranch, queso (or “cheese dip,” for all you Northerners), salsa and guacamole. I don’t like ranch dip, but I have two other ways to spice up your tortilla chips. Guacamole from Whole Foods is delicious and fresh – it tastes as good as Chipotle’s, and you can buy it in bulk. For queso, you can take half a block of Velveeta, cut it into small cubes and put it in a bowl with a small can of Rotel (or a tomato-based salsa). Then microwave it for 5 or 6 minutes, stopping half way through to mix it up so that the edges don’t burn.

Ordering pizza or making a bunch of frozen ones is definitely convenient. Wings are another classic game munchie, and there are tons of options, such as Buffalo Joe’s, Chicken Shack, Merle’s, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc. Merle’s boasts relatively large wings, so keep them in mind if you have a big appetite. A sandwich tray from Jimmy John’s is more health conscious choice if you want to feel better abut pigging out. I wouldn’t recommend getting your side items at these places. Three-liters and chips are a lot cheaper at Jewel.

After the savory stuff is gone, it’s a good idea to have cookies, brownies, M&M’s and other simple desserts near the seating area. Deploy your desserts in easy-to-reach places. Your guests probably won’t be very mobile by the fourth quarter.