Liveblog: Northwestern will reopen Thursday

Most recent updates

5:21 p.m. About 250 people are participating in a snowball fight north of University Library.

5:20 p.m. Norris employees are investigating some leaky tiles dripping onto the carpets.

4:11 p.m. DM just canceled its trivia night due to “the large snowmasses that are lining our streets,” according to a listserv message.

3:05 p.m. The Daily is asking Northwestern community members and Evanston residents to submit their photos from the blizzard of Feb. 1, 2011. Send the photos to [email protected].

2:33 p.m.: Howard just sent another e-mail to off-campus students:

“Hello folks,

In our continuing effort to keep you in the loop, we just wanted to pass along these updates as of 2pm today.

• All University Shuttle Service is shut down for the day. That includes Evanston Loop, Ryan Field and Inter-Campus Shuttles

• SafeRide Services will remain closed for the day given the condition of streets in residential neighborhoods. If there are questions about future operation, please check the SafeRide outgoing phone message at 847-491-7000, which will reflect the current status, and the SafeRide Facebook and Twitter feeds will be updated with any operating decisions.

• The Norris University Center is open until 6pm today. The Convenience Store and Norbucks will remain open until 5:30pm.

• Residential Dining – Residential Dining Halls are open and available to ALL students. students not on a meal plan may pay with cash at any of the available dining halls. Willard and Elder Dining Halls are closed. The other four locations (Sargent, Foster-Walker, Allison, and 1835 Hinman) will be open until 7:00 p.m. with continuous operation. You will be served at any time between now and 7:00 p.m. in those four locations.

All other dining and retail operations (e.g. Lisa’s Cafe, Great Room) are closed.

• SPAC and all other recreational facilities remain closed for the day.

• Student Health and CAPS – Health Service and the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) are closed. All emergencies should be routed through the police (9-1-1). To consult with staff from either office, call (847) 491-8100.

Students are reminded to exercise caution while making your away around the city and around campus. Sidewalks are being cleared, and you should use them, and avoid walking in the middle of streets, as you may be come a hazard to motorists, and impede snow removal efforts.

Please note that a significant temperature drop is predicted this evening – sub-zero weather. So, please dress appropriately, and take all precautions as you make your way around the area, and to be sure that apartments are secure and that your heat is operational.

Again, any emergency situations should be reported to 9-1-1. Any non-emergency issues may be reported to NUPD at 847-491-3456

Stay warm and stay safe!”

2:12 p.m. Northwestern will re-open and hold classes Feb. 3, according to the University website. The University released the following message:

“On Thursday, Feb. 3, 2011, Northwestern University will be open during normal business hours and classes will be held. Students, faculty and staff are urged to consider using public transportation when coming to the Chicago or Evanston campus. If you believe it is unsafe to travel, stay home.”

Wed., Feb. 2, 11:30 a.m. Howard just sent an e-mail to off-campus students, updating them on closures on campus today. The full e-mail is below:

Dear students,

Here are some updates regarding on-campus services as we know them at of 10 am:

1. STUDENT HEALTH is closed. All medical emergencies should be routed through NUPD. Call 911 for any situation that requires any immediate police, fire, or medical response. University Police non-emergency:

Evanston: 847-491-3456

Chicago: 312-503-3456

2. SPAC is closed.

3. CAPS is closed today, but they are taking calls through the on call system at 847.491.8100

4. SOFO and the Cashier’s office will be closed today.

Please view the Norris web site http://www.norris.northwestern.edu/ for more information regarding the building and weather-related closures and cancellations.

We will continue to provide on-campus services updates as we are notified of them.

10:30 p.m. Class is canceled Wednesday, Feb. 2 on both the Evanston and Chicago campuses. The University is closed as well. “University Police, Facilities Management, residence hall dining staff, healthcare staff, and other essential personnel should report to work,” according to the news release.

10:21 p.m. Check out The Daily’s photo slideshow of the storm thus far.

9:41 p.m. Dominic Greene, the director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, sent out a “few announcements from the University” Tuesday evening urging caution when walking around campus and in Evanston. Note: When contacted, Greene said the information was not verified and was sent quickly in an effort to aid students.

If residents’ power goes out, the University is recommending students tape their door locks open to ensure entry if a fob is otherwise required. The message also advised students to charge their cell phones and laptops. Read the full text here:

“Hello,

I have a few announcements from the University…

Please use extreme caution when walking around campus or Evanston. Facilities Management will be working hard to clear all sidewalks, streets, etc. However, depending on the volume of snow, there may be some areas with significant snow coverage. In addition, please stay away from the lakefront. The high waves and winds will make things potentially very dangerous.

NUPD- Will set-up temporary staging areas in: SPAC parking lot, Englehart Lot, South Campus Parking Garage, and one more located TBD). Officers can respond in person or on foot.

In case the power goes out:

Front Door Locks- Many of your chapters have marlocks/electronic access to your front doors. If the power does go out, University Housing has recommending the following:

Should power go out you will need to TAPE the door locks to keep them from defaulting to lock. This is the only way we can make sure the front doors don’t lock when electricity is out. Please let your residents and /or House Director/House Manager know that this is how they can ensure that the front door locks will remain unlocked. Individual student rooms should remained locked in this case. If not, you will have to figure out a way to allow members quick access to the front door.

Flashlights- Make sure that you have a supply of them handy in case the power goes out. PLEASE DO NOT USE CANDLES!!!

Charged Laptops/Cell Phones- Please charge everything you may need in case we have a power outage.

Food- If the power goes out, some University Dining Halls will be open: Allison, 1835 Hinman, Foster Walker, and Sargent. Please check with your chefs/cooks/house directors on what your back-up food service plan is for tomorrow if the University is closed.

Please check the NU website for any more additional updates. The University should make the decision late tonight/early tomorrow about school being closed tomorrow. Stay tuned for that announcement via email/text, and/or the NU Homepage.

Thanks and please let me know if you need anything else,

Dominic”

9:
38
Sheridan Rd. is closed from the Chicago city border to Chicago Ave. due to due to “drifting snow and extremely diminished visibility,” according to city officials.

9:31 p.m. Beginning early Tuesday, University spokesman Al Cubbage said NU crews have worked tirelessly to battle the snowfall. The relatively small amount of snowfall that accumulated Monday night was easily manageable, but by mid-afternoon the University’s threat assessment group had increasingly volatile winds and whiteout conditions to consider.

“We decided to cancel classes for Tuesday night,” Cubbage said. “It looks like that was a great decision.”

NU has arranged for facilities staff and bus drivers to stay on campus overnight. Cubbage said Tuesday afternoon that a decision to cancel classes on Wednesday was “still up in the air.”

“The storm is in full force,” he said. “Blowing snow is making it particularly difficult to manage.” — Sean Lavery

9:23 p.m. The snow could fall at a rate of 3-4 inches per hour between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., the Chicago Tribune is reporting.

9:09 p.m. All of Lake Shore Drive is closed, the Chicago Tribune is reporting, citing the Office of Emergency Management and Communication.

9:02 p.m. More than 225 Northwestern students have joined a Facebook group titled “No one is going to class tomorrow. Let’s be real.” The description reads: “We all know that we’re going to be staying home. SafeRide, Campus Shuttle, and Searle are closed? Yeah, that means I’m not going to Spanish either.” Check it out on Facebook.

8:54 p.m. It just thundersnowed.

7:30 p.m. Dance Marathon canceled its “Family Feud” event, originally scheduled for 7 p.m., according to a listserv message.

7:02 p.m. The City of Evanston is posting updates to its website with relevant closures and operational changes caused by the snowstorm. The city has declared a snow parking ban for tonight, Feb. 1, through Thursday, Feb. 3, and a snow emergency for Thursday and Friday. The three public parking garages have been opened to residents for free for residents needing a place to park their cars; parking is free until midnight, Feb. 5, at which point car-owners will incur a $13 fine. All District 65 schools and centers are closed Wednesday. The Civic Center will be open Wednesday for emergency operations only; Evanston Public Library will be closed. For more information and the full text of the updates, visit the City of Evanston website.

6:45 p.m. Dean of Students Burgwell Howard sends a message to the Off-Campus listserv detailing the following: SafeRide is not in operation Tuesday night; Evanston Loop shuttle is not in operation; Ryan Field shuttle is 20 minutes behind schedule; InterCampus shuttle is 40 minutes behind schedule. Howard asks students to “please stay indoors and out of the storm if you do not need to be outside.” Full message below.

“Dear NU Students,

A couple quick updates…..

*SafeRide* will NOT be in operation this evening given the dangerous weather and driving conditions. If there are questions about future operation, please check the SafeRide outgoing phone message at 847-491-7000, which will reflect the current status, and the SafeRide Facebook and Twitter feeds will be updated with any operating decisions.

*University Campus Shuttles* – The Evanston loop of the campus shuttle system has also shut down this evening due to dangerous driving conditions. As of 6:30pm the Ryan Field Shuttle is still operational, but is running approx. 20 mins. behind. The Inter-Campus Shuttle is also still running, but is running 40 mins. behind. Again, please stay indoors and out of the storm if you do not need to be outside.

. *University Health Center* – If you should experience a medical emergency, please contact 9-1-1, so that the Police may dispatch services to you. However, if you have a pressing, but non-emergency situation, University Student Health plans to be open Wednesday, Feb. 2nd with a reduced level of staffing. So, if you absolutely must be seen on Wednesday, there should be some staff available to see patients. If your needs are not critical, please schedule appointments for later in the week.

*SPAC* – The Sports and Aquatic Center plans to be open Wednesday Feb. 2nd with a reduced staff from 6am-5pm weather permitting. Please call ahead before heading over to the facility.

. The *Norris University Center* also plans to be open on Wednesday, Feb. 2nd with a reduced staff and operation beginning at 10am. Again, please call ahead or check the University website before venturing out.

All students, faculty and staff will be alerted to any news regarding classes and whether the university will be opened or closed on 2/2 via the University homepage, and the Emergency Message system.”

4:31 p.m. Jonathan Forman, president of College Democrats, sent out the following message at 12:08 p.m. “Snowmageddon ’11? Classes Cancelled after 5 PM? Nothing can stop this quarter’s installment of Dems w/ Fems. Tonight, we will be discussing: ‘The Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act and the politics of rape.'” He sent a retraction at 3:59 p.m. reading: “Just kidding! There will be no meeting tonight. Stay warm!”

4:30 p.m. Ryan Reinhart, assistant director of University Residential Life, has sent an e-mail informing students of cancellations due to the storm. Willard and Elder dining halls will be closed tomorrow. The full message is below:

“Residential students,

In preparation for the storm, I wanted to share some announcements. Please know that this is based on what we know now. You should watch your email, your text messages, and/or the NU homepage for more information.

* Given that very high winds are predicted for tonight and tomorrow, a temporary loss of power could be a possibility. Please make sure that you have all cell phones and laptops fully charged, since your phone and computer will be the principle method of communication for the University.

* Willard and Elder dining halls WILL BE CLOSED tomorrow. The other dining halls should be opened, but that is subject to change.

* All hall staff duty phones will be carried beginning now through the end of the storm. If you encounter an emergency, please call 911. For other assistance, please call your building’s duty phone (the number should be posted by each duty board in your building).

* Facilities Management will be working hard to clear all sidewalks, staircases, streets, etc. However, depending on the volume of snow, there might be areas on campus with significant snow coverage. Please use extreme caution when walking outside or driving.

* Please take extra care to carry your room key at all times. You will likely experience a significant delay in staff response if you find yourself locked out of your room. In the event that a power outage affects your ability to enter your building, call your building’s duty phone for assistance.

Again, please be sure to watch your email, text messages, and/or the NU homepage for updates as they are available.

-Ryan”

4:25 p.m. According to employees at Norris University Center, Norris will operate tomorrow between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Starbucks and selected food options will be open.

4:20 p.m. Due to concerns regarding the safety of our staff, The Daily will not publish a print edition tomorrow, Wednes
day, Feb. 2. We will publish several news, sports and opinion stories on our website, including complete coverage of the storm. We will also update this blog to keep our readers informed on the impact of the storm.