Back Burner: Foods that can keep you from becoming a walking mucus factory

Let’s be straight here: Winter sucks. It’s cold, it’s gross, you don’t want to go anywhere or do anything – except maybe carbo-load (which is, of course, why oversized sweaters were invented).

Then, there comes a point when everyone around you is sniffling and hacking up their respiratory systems, and you realize you’ll need to start wearing an H1N1 mask to avoid getting sick. But before you stock up on Lysol and hand sanitizer, let me tell you about some foods that can keep you from becoming a walking mucus factory.

You’ve most likely heard this from your parents since the day you discovered Happy Meals, but it is in your best interest to stock up on fruits and veggies. Most have antioxidants that give your immune system a boost.

If a plain old apple just doesn’t cut it for you, try eating it with a spoonful of peanut butter. Picky about vegetables? See how you feel about red bell peppers. They have Vitamin E (an antioxidant vitamin) like spinach and broccoli but are sweet and crisp instead of weird and green. Yogurt, nuts, lean meats and whole grains are also good sources of antioxidants.

Some good news: There’s actually some legitimacy behind the winter carb-craze. Carbohydrates can boost your levels of serotonin, a hormone that fights depression. A bowl of whole-grain pasta will help shield you from both the flu and the doldrums, so this might be a good quarter to try out Noodles & Company, Cozy Noodles and Rice, or Lulu’s. You should also consider bringing home a baguette or loaf from Panera, where you’ll find myriad bread choices with varying degrees of graininess.

Remember, though, that moderation is important. Fatty or sugary foods, as well as excess carbs, can cause weight gain, and packing on those winter pounds can weaken your immune system. When you’re sick, Burger King may be the cheapest place to eat in Evanston, but it might be worth it to splurge a little at Whole Foods.

This was originally published in The Current, a weekly supplement to The Daily Northwestern.