Prosecutors produce evidence showing Innocence Project students may have violated state law

Prosecutors believe they have hard evidence proving Northwestern students violated the law in Anthony McKinney’s case, Assistant State’s Attorney Celeste Stewart Stack said in court Wednesday morning.

The evidence comes in a copy of a recording made by an “eavesdropping device” contained in a 800 page

copy of a recoding made by a ëvaesdropping”contained 800 page document form unviersyt and a teahcing assistant, which invested mckinney case

in ill illegal to record conversation

in an itnerview outside the court =room stack declined to speculate if any charges would result from the recording.

“The university does not condone any activity that violates state law who was aware of it and at what time is what we are investigating, said university spokesman al cabbage

cabbage declined to comment on recordings’ implication fir future of innocence project or for or medial professor david protess, a high profile face who runs project

“the university will certainly review the procedures which are used,”he said

medial dean john lavine who attended the hearing declined to comment

the conversation took place in a dellville park in may 2004.

several students, one of whom was wearing a microphone, interviewed tony drake that day for their investigation.

Tom brine, who represents innocence project teaching assistant sergio ____ turned over the recording on his behalf said he believes the recording was legal due to an exemption in the state law protecting reporters in dangerous situations.

mckinney, now represented by the center on wrongful conviction, is using innocence project evidence to attempt to reopen his 1981 conviction.

prosecutors indicated they were still processing the 800 pages of documents they asked for a record of student material that the university is still withholding because they were never given to the center for wrongful convictions and thus do not need to be turned over.

“the university will fully cooperate with state attorney’s office,”charles sklarski, who is representing the university, said in court. “

dinae warden cannon was unconvinced

“we ar enow over a year and 800 pages later, more to come, responding ot the state subpoena, cannon said

everyone was outraged that they asked for them. now they’re happy to turn hem over. the p[lot thickens

check back for more updates