Alvarado: How much should we trust the mainstream media?

It’s interesting what kinds of things people tell me when they find out I’m a journalism major. Sometimes it’s about how the industry is “dying” or about getting to meet famous people, but a lot of times the response is, “Well, I hope you can bring some truth to the industry.”

A poll released by Gallup on Sept. 29, 2010 showed findings that 57 percent of Americans have little or no trust “in the mass media to report the news fully, accurately and fairly” – a record high.

Last year for an assignment, I interviewed people in their late teens and early twenties about where they get their news. I was shocked to hear people list Facebook as an outlet. Given the Gallup poll numbers, in some ways it makes sense that people would go to Facebook because the “news” they get is from “friends” they trust. However, I hardly think that the mentality is a result of exasperation with media bias.

The results of some recent polls also seem to contradict the notion that people are concerned about fairly-reported news. In 2007, the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press took a poll of Americans’ favorite journalists and Jon Stewart came in at number four. Rasmussen Reports found similar information in March 2008 when they took a poll revealing that 40 percent of Americans under 40 think shows like The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report are replacing traditional news outlets. Both air on Comedy Central and neither of the hosts would call themselves journalists. Both shows are blatantly biased, which is ironic given that a complaint against mass media is accuracy.

I think what Facebook, Colbert and Stewart have in common is that they eliminate the classically-American fear of being tricked into believing something false. Stewart’s and Colbert’s shows have the pretense of bias, so the viewer has a sense of full disclosure. Facebook friends have no ulterior motives and their news isn’t really big enough to need one.

When looking at these new news alternatives, none seem to meet “fully, accurately and fairly” criteria. While sources like Facebook friends have no real reason to skew facts, as long as people have opinions there is an inherent bias in the way facts are delivered. Also, there is no way for people who seek only the news that affects them to meet the “fully” criterion with the information they can provide.

I don’t think that the mistrust is entirely a reflection of the reliability of reporting in mass media, though the recent polls findings raise some questions as to why the number has grown. I find it hard to believe that mass media institutions would exist if people weren’t seeking what those institutions offered. I think the results of the Gallup poll merely reflect America’s default reaction to be skeptical of the media, which can really be traced back to the days of the Revolution.

I think that this deeply ingrained skepticism is important because public opinion plays a large role in shaping professional reporting; we are right to demand the most accurate version of the truth. That said, it is equally important that we don’t compromise our standards for the sake of convenience or entertainment so that we can provide legitimate criticism and continue to hold the media to a high standard.

Emily Alvarado is a Medill sophomore. She can be reached at [email protected].