Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

Documentary shows effects of ex-drug addicts

Viewers of a Tuesday night film screening of “The Throwaway War” had the chance to explore a different side of former drug offenders.

Inspire Media and the Roosevelt Institute collaborated to screen the film, which was directed by Benjamin Singer, Communication ‘10. Communication senior Andrew Glor, co-president of Inspire Media, said the organization wanted to “give new life” to the film, which was made two years ago. The screening took place at the West Sheridan classrooms.

Singer’s documentary follows the story of previously incarcerated drug offenders as they build new lives for themselves in Chicago. “The Throwaway War” was created to challenge the stereotypes surrounding drugs and ex-offenders, Singer said.

“We wanted to move the dialogue surrounding substance abuse and drug policy from focusing on blame and despair to redemption and personal salvation,” he said. “It should be the faces, voices, and stories of drug offenders through their own eyes.”

The film charts the post-prison lives of recovering addicts. One of the most difficult parts of their journeys is the tough job market and hesitation to hire ex-convicts.

“What I have is this black mark on my record that says I am society’s garbage … I hate it because it’s a stigma that’s going to be with me for a long time,” said Mike, one of the former offenders featured in the film.

After the film was screened, students were able to direct their questions toward a panel of experts, consisting of Loyola University professor David Olson; Erica Reddick, deputy chief of the felony trial division for the Cook County Public Defender; Lester Finkle, chief of legal resources for the Cook County Public Defender and Laura Brookes, policy director for Treatment Alternatives for Safe Communities.

Both Olson and Reddick said society’s stereotypes of ex-drug offenders continue to place obstacles in their paths to recovery.

“For many clients that try to reenter into society, [getting rejected from jobs] is like getting resentenced again,” Reddick said. “They’re out there with a scarlet letter and it affects them for the rest of their lives.”