McCormick senior awarded Churchill Scholarship to pursue science at Cambridge

McCormick senior Kelsey Stoerzinger received a Churchill Scholarship from the Winston Churchill Foundation to pursue graduate studies at the University of Cambridge.

The scholarship is offered to at least 14 students each year. One hundred and three participating institutions are allowed to nominate two students, according to the foundation’s Web site. Stoerzinger is the seventh Northwestern student to receive the scholarship.

‘I’m very excited about the opportunity,’ Stoerzinger said. ‘I’m grateful for the help I’ve gotten along the way.’

The scholarship is worth between $44,000 and $50,000 depending on the exchange rate. Scholars receive full coverage of tuition and fees and living and travel allowances, according to the foundation’s Web site.

At NU,’ Stoerzinger has been a consistent and ‘incredibly conscientious’ student, her longtime professor Teri Odom said.

‘She was meticulous about all the steps,’ the chemistry and material sciences professor said. ‘She was very thorough when she did her analysis, and she was very successful.’

Stoerzinger, who studies nanoparticles, said the field offers many research opportunities.

‘When you get down to the nano scale, a lot of things behave differently,’ she said.

Odom also said Stoerzinger is working on a technology for localized cancer therapy.

Stoerzinger said she was interested in the field but is keeping her options open for the future.

‘I don’t want to commit to anything right at this moment,’ she said.

Odom said England’s different scientific methods would give Stoerzinger an edge in research later.

‘She’ll have a much broader perspective on how to go about solving problems,’ Odom said.

Stoerzinger said she hopes to spend her year in England learning ‘awesome science,’ but also meeting new people.

‘It will be a good opportunity to expand my horizons both in research and socially,’ she said. —

-Lark Turner