Winter Strategies For Warmth

Baby, it’s cold outside.

Coming to Northwestern as a freshman, one of the first and most overstated pieces of advice was “stay warm.” With average lows of 25 degrees for this coming week (far above what they will be in a few weeks), we should consider ourselves lucky.

Here’s the deal with thermo-regulation-the fancy way of saying our body responds to the cold in one of two ways. We shiver to generate body heat. We also constrict blood vessels in our extremities (arms, legs) to redirect blood flow to our brains and other vital organs. Our heads, faces and upper chest area can be five times more sensitive to changes in temperature than other part of our body, as reported by The New York Times. But that doesn’t mean keeping other parts of our body isn’t just as important.

In brainstorming some concrete methods for insulation this winter, I offer you one simple piece of advice: forego the “tights as pants” fad. Tights are not pants. Especially in the winter, it’s extremely important to keep your legs insulated. If you really can’t be brought to part with your beloved tights, wear them under your jeans for extra protection, recommends Medill freshman Heather Devane.

Keeping your feet warm is also essential to your whole body. Boots aren’t enough. “Wear two pairs of socks instead of one,” says Weinberg sophomore Mayra Garcia.

This winter, layers will be your saving grace, Communication freshman Alex Lieberman said. There is a stark contrast between the outside world and falsely high indoor temperatures. Once you’ve braved the icy trek from your dorm to class, you may very well find yourself sweating and needing to strip down. Throw a sweater over your long-sleeved shirt over your tank top to prevent yourself from combusting once you’re inside.

Besides the obvious winter accessories-hats, scarves and earmuffs–air activated hand warmers are also “really sweet,” says Weinberg freshman Alice Jeon. Available in most sporting goods stores, they provide that extra boost of warmth to your fingertips.

And for your top half? “Under Armour,” says Weinberg freshman Arthur Jago. “I’m not kidding, it holds warmth in like crazy.”

Physical warmth is just as important as the mental aspects. Focusing on warm thoughts and places can also help. Furthermore, carrying something warm, like that Starbucks venti caramel macchiato, provides tangible heat for you to harness. Walking briskly can help your body generate extra warmth, as well as burn calories-just be careful about ice.

You might be wondering what qualifies any of the people in this article as experts in the warmth department, but we all live in brutal Chicago weather for six months a year – it’s enough to give any newbie a crash course in winter endurance. Staying warm involves many aspects. Coat, scarf, hat, gloves, earmuffs, socks-add these to your survival kit. Sip a hot chocolate after a hike up Sheridan road to kick start your day. Welcome advice from your neighbors, pick up tricks of the trade from seasoned winter veterans, and before you know it, you’ll be living winter like a pro.