Liveblog: NU beats Iowa 17-10

This story was updated on Nov. 7 at 4:20 p.m. CT.

Northwestern proved it could compete with the best teams in the nation when hung with Penn State for three quarters last weekend. On Saturday, the Wildcats closed the deal.

NU earned bowl eligibility in style, knocking off No. 4 Iowa 17-10 at Kinnick Stadium. One of the most impressive upsets in program history, it was the Cats’ third victory in Iowa City, Iowa, in four years. Both teams dealt with injuries to their starting quarterbacks, as Mike Kafka did not play the full game and Ricky Stanzi suffered a high ankle sprain in the second quarter that is expected to sideline him for the remainder of the regular season.

Just like two weeks ago against Indiana, NU (6-4, 3-3 Big Ten) found itself in a hole before its offense even took the field. On third-and-seven, wide receiver Marvin McNutt made a double move and got behind the secondary. Stanzi hit him for a 74-yard touchdown pass, giving the Hawkeyes (9-1, 5-1) a 7-0 lead.

They added a 39-yard field goal on their next possession, following an NU three-and-out. But the Cats settled in, and they didn’t allow another point after that.

Iowa’s four-turnover second quarter let NU get back in the game. The Cats’ defense created their first score, when Stanzi rolled right off a playaction deep in his own territory and was met by senior defensive end Corey Wootton. Stanzi fumbled and had to be helped off the field after Wootton landed on his ankle, while senior defensive tackle Marshall Thomas pounced on the loose ball in the end zone. Redshirt freshman James Vandenberg took Stanzi’s place, completing 9-of-27 passes for only 82 yards and a turnover in his first collegiate action._ьNU went ahead 14-10 later in the quarter, driving 46 yards after a Quentin Davie interception. Sophomore quarterback Dan Persa, who took over for Kafka for the next quarter-and-a-half, connected with sophomore superback Drake Dunsmore for a 4-yard touchdown to cap it off, and the Cats took a four-point lead into halftime.

The teams held their ground in a scoreless third quarter. Persa injured his hand, and coach Pat Fitzgerald sent Kafka back out with about 18 minutes left. NU extended its lead to seven with a 47-yard field goal by kicker Stefan Demos early in the final period, and the defense kept Iowa from advancing beyond midfield the rest of the way to preserve the 17-10 victory.

Looking for more comprehensive coverage of Northwestern’s 17-10 victory? Check out our live blog from the game on Cats’ Corner.