Quick Picks

Matt Forman: Penn State 35, Northwestern 10The Wildcats only hope is that the Nittany Lions are overlooking this game and thinking ahead to Ohio State. If Northwestern wants any chance of competing, it will need to play a complete 60 minutes of football and not turn the ball over. But Ryan Field has been home to several upsets, especially in nighttime games, so anything is possible.

Brian Chappatta: Penn State 31,Northwestern 10If NU fans expect an upset treat on Halloween, they’re tricking themselves. Penn State has the type of balanced offense that gives the Cats fits, and its defense is too disciplined to allow the NU rushing game to get back on track. Big plays against Indiana came out of desperation, but Penn State won’t allow the Cats back into the game this time. NU doesn’t have a ghost of a chance.

Robbie Levin: Penn State 37, Northwestern 14With most of its defense back, NU will put up a fight, but that won’t be enough against one of the best teams in the country. To put it simply, the Nittany Lions are too good to be stopped. Their defense is great and their offense is better. Withstanding a mental lapse, Penn State wins easily.

Danny Daly: Penn State 26, Northwestern 14Ultimately, the Nittany Lions just do too many things too well for the Cats to come out on top. The atmosphere will help keep the game close throughout the first half, like against Michigan State, and the return of safety Brendan Smith should help. NU has a chance to keep it close if its red zone defense steps up and forces Penn State to settle for field goals rather than touchdowns.