Businesses learn ways to go green

Dozens of local business owners learned ways to “get green, go green and save green” Tuesday morning at a special breakfast event hosted by the Evanston Chamber of Commerce, Commonwealth Edison, commonly known as ComEd, and Citizens for a Greener Evanston.

The presentation, held in the Lorraine H. Morton Civic Center at 2100 Ridge Ave., was part of ComEd’s “Smart Ideas for Your Business” program, which provides incentives for businesses to become more energy efficient.

“The city of Evanston is very proud to co-sponsor this event,” said City Manager Wally Bobkiewicz. “The partnerships we have, along with the Climate Action Plan, set us apart from other municipalities.”

Evanston was one of 10 Illinois municipalities selected last November to participate in ComEd’s Community Energy Challenge, which helps communities to develop and implement cost-effective and energy-efficient projects to support sustainability objectives.

This year, ComEd has committed $350,000 to fund energy-related building improvements made by Evanston-based businesses and institutions.

Erin Monroe, a representative from ComEd, presented a slideshow on the Smart Ideas program that outlined projects, costs and the application process.

“This program is big news in the energy efficiency industry,” Monroe said. “It’s taking Illinois to the top tier in terms of sustainability projects in the country.”

The Smart Ideas program offers two kinds of incentives for business owners: “prescriptive” and “custom.”

Prescriptive incentives, Monroe said, include common commercial and industrial measures such as lighting technologies, motors, heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration. Custom incentives include complex industrial improvements not considered as qualified prescriptive measures.

Last year, Monroe said ComEd funded 450 projects with an estimated $100,000. Another 1,400 projects have already been approved this year.

Monroe encouraged business owners to apply for incentives as soon as possible.

“We will run out of money again this year,” she said. “The program is first come, first serve.”

Carolyn Collopy, Evanston’s sustainable programs coordinator, said the presentation was a useful tool for businesses that are trying to become more green.

“We’re really encouraging businesses to take action now,” she said. “This will help us reach our goal to become a more sustainable city, which is for the greater good of the community.”

Many business owners said the presentation provided useful tips for cutting both costs and energy usage.

Evanston resident Patricia Widmayer owns an aging bed and breakfast in northern Michigan and was interested in learning what types of green programs and upgrades were available to small business owners.

“My business is run out of a very old house and has a small profit margin, so I wanted to see how we could get some projects going without spending an outrageous amount,” she said.

Sarah Warren, founder of the Evanston-based Spheres of Influence Salon on Climate Change, said she attended the breakfast to learn more about the green programs offered by the city. After the presentation, she said she planned to use her Twitter page to share what she learned.

“This program has multiple benefits, from saving money to lowering greenhouse gas emissions,” Warren said. “I’m interested in spreading the word.”

Evanston residents can learn more about energy efficiency and reducing their carbon footprint at the city’s third annual Green Living Festival. The event will run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday at the Evanston Ecology Center, 2024 McCormick Blvd.