Man On The Beat: Taube Brahms, senior theater major

Taube Brahms will graduate from Northwestern in about two weeks (and counting) with a theater degree and a certificate in musical theater. She’s worked at both Second City and the White House, and for now she’s enjoying every minute of her last couple of weeks in college. Oh, and if you want to hear her casual Australian accent, just ask about her favorite TV show.

What work have you done with Second City?

Well, I’m currently in the conservatory and I’ve also had the opportunity to do some shows in Donny’s Skybox. The first show I was cast in was a sketch show called “Stop Staring at My Wits.” It was an incredible experience and we actually sold out every performance; we had to turn people away. Now I’m in “Let’s Call it Ralph.”

How do you find time for all of that?

The time – it’s hard. There was a period when Monday nights 7-10, I had rehearsal, Tuesday nights I had musical improv, Wednesdays from 7-10 I had Second City, Thursdays from 6:30-9:30 I had Annoyance classes, Friday shows and some Saturdays I had more improv from 10-1. It’s a lot, but I love doing it. I always really enjoy my time. But I guess, as my college career comes to the an end, it’s like, once in a while you want to be free to go to dollar burgers without having to go downtown, you know?

So, what else do you do in your free moments?

I wrote this show called “Toby with an a-u-b-e … wtf?” It chronicles and makes light of my time at Northwestern, and it has songs, impersonations, audience participation, some improv, some stand-up, a whole mix of things. I really want to make it happen before I graduate. I might be using Northwestern as a kind of test run, and then try to make the show more universal (for the Chicago audience). There may or may not be a dramatic reading of some e-mails from my sorority listserv.

What inspired your show?

Northwestern has been filled with many ups and downs. I’ve spent a lot of time crying, and now I’m ready to laugh. I started thinking about all these different things that have happened to me here, and a lot of them have entertainment value. I have a notebook that I carry around. There’s always room to add something more, so in some ways I feel like it’s never finished. It’s going to be a very self-deprecating evening, so obviously, hilarity will ensue.

Any interests outside of theater?

I really love politics. I spent a few summers in Washington, interning for the Senate Judiciary committee, and most recently at the White House. Theater has the power to definitely affect the world. Artists, one would hope, are compassionate and empathetic and can really bring attention to their issues. I can’t image a bigger privilege than to make someone laugh for a night. There is a lot of hurt in the world right now, and I’m honored if I can be part of making someone happy for a little bit.

What’s next?

In this economy, prostitution perhaps? I’m kidding … but you do sound like my mother. I was recently accepted to drama school in London. So, I may be moving across the pond. Part of me really loves the Chicago comedy scene, and part of me feels like I’ve been waiting my whole life to move to New York. Things are a little up in the air. I feel like Carmen Sandiego; I could be anywhere in the world next year. Some people are freaked out by that. I’m excited. Deep down I’m probably freaked out, but the opportunity to pick and up and go is really unique, so I’m trying to celebrate that instead of worry about it.

Any favorite moments? What will you miss most about NU?

Opening nights are really exciting, the first time there’s an audience there. Hopefully (the audience) doesn’t make you wait too long to hear laughter for the first time. Being part of an ensemble, you’re there for your partner. I think it’s a great lesson on theater and on life. You have to be open and willing to take risks. I’ve learned to be fearless. On stage, strangely enough, I feel like I can do anything. If it’s funny and it’s working, then go for it.