Softball: The Year in Review

Player of the Year: Tammy Williams

All eyes were on 2008 Big Ten Player of the Year Tammy Williams when the Wildcats began their 2009 campaign. Coming off a year in which she broke Northwestern’s single-season records for batting average and on-base percentage, Williams didn’t disappoint.

This season, the senior led the Big Ten in total bases, hits and batting average, on her way to picking up her second consecutive Big Ten player of the Year award. Williams was the sparkplug in the Cats’ lineup as her league-leading .533 on-base percentage led to 48 runs, also a league best.

In addition to her improvement at the plate, Williams also stepped up her game in the field. After committing 46 errors in her first three years at shortstop, the senior committed just six miscues this season.

Williams set several NU records in her final season in Evanston, including home runs (57), hits (310) and runs (235).

Williams, who was named to the First Team All-Big Ten and the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) All-Great Lakes Region team, was drafted by the Chicago Bandits of the National Professional Fastpitch league.

Biggest Series WinMichigan @ Sharon J. Drysdale Field

The Wildcats started Big Ten play with a bang, sweeping then-No.8 and 2008 Co-Big Ten Champion Michigan at home.

The Cats powered their way to the series-opening win, slipping by the Wolverines 6-5. NU got four of its runs from a third inning grand slam by junior centerfielder Kelly Dyer.

The Wolverines came back to tie the game, but freshman Adrienne Monka won the game with a walk-off single in the bottom of the seventh.

The second game was decided in the circle. Junior Lauren Delaney pitched a gem, striking out 13 while allowing only one earned run.

The Cats got all the runs they needed in the fourth inning, thanks to back-to-back solo home runs by Monka and Williams. The blasts came on consecutive pitches, clinching a 2-1 win.

The sweep was NU’s first of Michigan in coach Kate Drohan’s eight-year tenure in Evanston. It also jump-started NU’s nine-game conference winning streak, which included sweeps over Penn State, Michigan State and Indiana.

Biggest Series LossOhio State @ Sharon J. Drysdale Field

After two heartbreaking losses to Illinois, the Wildcats were desperate coming into their series against the Buckeyes. It was Senior Weekend and NU was undefeated at home. Ohio State spoiled any hopes of a second consecutive Big Ten title.

Delaney gave up a two-run blast that put the Cats down three entering the home half of the seventh inning. NU scraped together two runs, but left the tying run stranded at second base, ending in a 7-6 loss.

The next day, NU was unable to match Ohio State’s dominating performance at the plate. The Buckeyes blasted Delaney and sophomore Jessica Smith for 10 runs on 11 hits. The only offense the Cats mustered came in the form of a solo shot off the bat of sophomore Michelle Batts.

“We’ve got to stop playing like this,” said Kelly Dyer after the losses. “We’ve got to draw a line and say enough is enough. We’ve just got to play better.”

NUs four-game skid marked the first time since 2003 that the Cats had lost four consecutive conference games.

– Robbie Levin